X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop Popup options

Good Afternoon,

I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction:

My company are looking for a method to publish management information to the staff of 1700 users over multiple domains (windows 2000 primerily). They want this information to appear ideally as popups on their desktop computers at intervals they decide (someone authenticated clicks publish and this is instantly "popped up" on the users desktop). Are there any inbuilt microsoft products that would complete this requirement either as a desktop piece of software or something inbuilt into the windows XP estate?

The only other option (without popups) that I can think of would be to enforce the users home page to the local intranet page which is then updated.

Does anyone else have any other viable suggestions, or software options they have used in the past?

Thanks
    armster

Re: Desktop Popup options

I think the Windows Messenger service still exists on XP, so that would deal with the "display" side, then something like Net Send GUI could handle the "send" part
    http://www.fomine.com/net-send-gui.html

DUnno about cross domain, though...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dunno about multiple machines either, been a while since I used it but doesn't net send (or msg which has replaced it) have to be targeted at a specific computer?

I think off the top of my head you'd need a script to pull computer names from AD and send the message to each, which is clunky as all hell. Probably need a script per domain as well, unless all the domains are in the same forest, which I doubt from the original post.

I'd (personal preference) go with the intranet option, purely for security concerns. The Messenger service was deprecated for good reason, and you are running an EOL OS predominantly as well.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thats what the GUI does -- at least the screenshot shows it doing so

Used to be a brill program called NTHail which pulled in a list of machines in "network places" and let you target machines in bulk
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

vbscript to grab a list of all computers from the directory using an ldap bind then to display a dialog box on the computer, processing for each computer object found
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X