Looking for advice on not being blacklisted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for advice on not being blacklisted

I work for a company that hosts a web-based management application (just started not that long ago). We create an email account for clients through our ISP and use the ISP to send and receive email through our application, where we simply input the send/receive server settings. These emails are generated from the clients accessing the app and performing certain tasks.

The ISP has restrictions on how many connections can be made from one IP per hour before it's considered spam and the source is cut off until specific criteria are met. We would obviously like to move to an email solution that doesn't have this limitation, but it's understood that these types of anti-spam controls exist everywhere so even if we hosted our own mail server we could find ourselves getting blacklisted for spamming.

I'm not very experienced with the world outside of basic Exchange for small businesses, so this kind of email traffic is unfamiliar to me, but I know businesses have to have provisions for doing this. What kind of options are there for an email solution that would permit a large (or unlimited preferably) number of connections?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Re: Looking for advice on not being blacklisted

your ISP mailserver has set those restrictions, once you have your own mailserver you are free to set (or not) any restrictions you like. It would be kinda silly to blacklist yourself, once you have your own mailserver.

If all you need is an outbound mail relay there are pleanty of those you subscribe to, assuming you dont need all the features of a mailserver.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Ah, I see. Having our own mail server we wouldn't automatically be blacklisted for spamming for sending over x number of emails per hour from our app. I remember in the past seeing companies get blacklisted for sending mass mailings which is why I didn't consider it here, but mass mail (1 email to hundreds) is different than many emails to many recipients; the latter is not a blacklist offense, if I'm understanding correctly.

Thanks, that's very simple. Sometimes it just helps to get something out there for it to crystallize.

Comment

if you run your own mailserver, and implement all the correct reputation controls then you would not get blacklisted. Things like SPF, RDNS, DKIM. And of course dont send spam If you do, then no matter what will get blacklisted

I use MXtoolbox to keep an eye on things.

BTW: DKIM is kinda new and not essential, just another level, you can try if needed.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Number of connections is not taken into account, unless you are legitimately sending massive amounts of email. I doubt you will run into that.

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for the additional info.

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
              BTW: DKIM is kinda new and not essential, just another level, you can try if needed.
              DKIM is not supported with MSExchange, and if you need to use it, there's only one solution, and it's not cheap. I've had to implement DKIM because without it yahoo rejected my emails.

Though I just brought up a VM with postfix and a free DKIM plugin there, and set up an additional send connector for yahoo.
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
              X