Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUtlook Express v6 - not retaining alternate SMTP account details

Hello All

I have an issue with a Windows XP (HE) Sp2 installed Pc where it is not retaining the account name & password details for the SMTP server.
    The pc is not fully upto date security/patch wise as the ADSL circuit to the pc will not be installed until 24/11, once the ADSL service is installed the Pc will be brought fully upto date using Microsoft Update.

Scenario
    The user receives email from the website hosting company & sends all email via the ISP. Both the web hosting & ISP accounts have totally different account (user) names & passwords:

POP3 server: pop.hotchilli.net
    Account Name: xxxxx
    Password: xxxxx

SMTP server: mail.btinternet.com
    Account Name: yyyyy
    Password: yyyyy

The alternate SMTP logon details are entered & saved as follows.

Within the main Outlook Express application:

Tools>Accounts>Mail tab> <highlight the account> Properties button>Servers Tab>Settings button for outgoing mail server (requiring authentification)

The radio button 'Log on using' is then selected & Account name/Password filled in with the mail.btinternet.com account details.

The 'remember password' box is also ticked before clicking OK all the way back to the main OE application.

The Outlook Express client functions perfectly until the user logs off the actual desktop, when they log back on the alternate logon details for SMTP are 'lost' & the Outlook Express SMTP account reverts to the POP3 account details including the server DNS name. There are no errors present within the Event Log relating to user profile not being saved/loaded correctly either.

The PC is using fast user switching & other users on this Pc have the same settings for mail apart from POP3 account name & password. They all use hotchilli.net to receive email & btinternet to send.

The Hotchilli account details are unique to each user (they all have thier own logon) but the btinternet account used for sending email is the same for all users on the pc.

My inital thought is that the system requires fully updating, then the email account that is errant deleting & recreating if the issue still exists???

Any other ideas or known bugs with Outlook Express v6.0??

Thanks

Allan

Re: OUtlook Express v6 - not retaining alternate SMTP account details

Please review:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/save_pas...in_outlook.htm

Regards,

Yuval
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Thanks Yuval

I'll try the solution & report back with my findings.

Regards

Allan

Comment

Re: Outlook Express v6 - not retaining alternate SMTP account details

Hi Yuval

Many thanks it worked!!

My apologies for not posting back sooner but I have moved job & home in the same month

Regards

Allan

Comment

Thanks for posting back Ajm, it is greatly appreciated. We're happy the solution fixed your problem.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X