Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS not downloading recent updates

Morning all,

I have just approved this month patches and WSUS is not downloading the updates. It just says "Downloading 0.00mb of 256". We use ISA server 2000 and updates have worked before. I double checked the information on the following site:

http://msmvps.com/athif/articles/66365.aspx

and everything has been added correctly. It downloaded the metedata for the patches fine but it just wont download the patches.

Tried rebooting the server, cancelling and restarting the download of the patches and even re-authorising the patches.

The only other thing I can think of is our firewall. This is managed by our parent company and maybe they have made some changes which I am going to check out.

Can anyone else think of anything else it could be????

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: WSUS not downloading recent updates

Please use:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;885819

And setup another connection (via ADSL etc,) from the server to the internet for testing purpose. I guess that some ports/services was block
    Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to reply yesterday.

I connected it to our back BT line and it worked fine. So it's either a problem with the proxy or the firewall. I have just enabled the 'packet dropped' alert on the ISA server to see if it's the proxy that's dropping the connection.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Update

Patches download fine via the our backup ADSL line so it's not the WSUS at fault. It's either the proxy or firewall.

All clients can download via the windowsupdate.com site and so can the proxy which seems to me that everything is working fine unless WSUS uses a different method to download the patches i.e. port. But according to the proxy logs it uses port 80 and 442 - Logs included:

xx.xx.xx.xx anonymous - 2005-10-19 10:41:56 PROXYSERVER - update.microsoft.com - 443 -
        166 440 SSL-tunnel CONNECT - - 407

xx.xx.xx.xx anonymous Microsoft WSUS Server 2005-10-19 10:42:00 PROXYSERVER -
        stats.update.microsoft.com - 80 - 2856 2726 http POST
        http://stats.update.microsoft.com/Re...ebService.asmx - 407

xx.xx.xx.xx anonymous Microsoft WSUS Server 2005-10-19 10:42:01 PROXYSERVER -
        stats.update.microsoft.com - 80 - 2945 440 http POST
        http://stats.update.microsoft.com/Re...ebService.asmx - 407

xx.xx.xx.xx domain\username Microsoft WSUS Server 2005-10-19 10:42:01 PROXYSERVER -stats.update.microsoft.com 207.46.157.125 80 563 3117 627 http POST
        http://stats.update.microsoft.com/Re...ebService.asmx Inet 200

Anyone else think of anything??

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

What the proxy/firewall that you use?
          Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

ISA 2000.

This used to work fine but has now suddenly stopped. It's driving me mad. I have tried this with our back-up ADSL line and it works fine. All other client can do a windows update but WSUS just wont download any content

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Silly thought but, your ISP hasn't blocked anything on your main connection have they?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

That's what's confusing me a bit.

We are with Telewest blueyonder Business. Other client can download updates fine if we go straight to www.windowsupdate.com so that to me rules out the proxy and firewall unless WSUS uses a different method to download patches that the automatic updates service. I was under the impression that BITS was uses to download for both.

It's not really that much of a problem because when new patches have been released I can simply connect it straight into out raw back up line to download patches, but onbiously this is not the best case scenario.
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Here's the same Problem:
                  Code:
                  Last synchronization: 11/8/2005 8:12 PM 
                  Last synchronization result: Success 
                  Next synchronization: 11/10/2005 8:11 PM 
                  Current status: Running (0%) 
                  Synchronize nowStop synchronizing 

Status of Downloads 
                  Updates needing files: 46 
                  Downloading 0.00 MB of 53.09 MB
                  Code:
                  Total: 580 
                  Approved updates: 497 
                  Updates not approved: 72 
                  Declined updates: 11 
                  Updates with computer errors: 0 
                  Updates needed by computers: 137 

Computers 
                  Total: 4 
                  Computers with update errors: 0 
                  Computers needing updates: 2
                  Code:
                  Check your server configuration
                  One or more Update Service components could not be contacted. Check your server status and ensure that the Windows Server Update Service is running. Non-running services: WSUSService
                  I wen to the Services and Checked if there is any service called WSUSService, but I didn't c

Also, disabled the ADSL Router Firewall and ther server Firewall, still same problem. It showes that some computer requiers updates, but when I synchronize, U have seen the above status

Any help or idea to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Habibalby
                  ================================
                  HND: Higher National Diploma in
                  Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
                  MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
                  Done:VMware DSA
                  ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Do you use ISA 2000 or 2004 for your proxy??

This is exactly the same problems I'm having and I've tried looking at the proxy to see what's causing it but cant find anything.

The only way around it I have found at the moment is connect the WSUS server into our backup ADSL and the updates work fine. I know it's not ideal but I dont have the time at the moment to investigate it properly.

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Hi Dude,

No, I don't use Proxy nither ISA.

But the WSUS was working fine without any problem for the sych, suddenly this problem happened.

Any guess?

Thanks,

Habibalby
                      Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

I always put it down to the proxy as mine works fine when using it on our backup line.

I take it you've tried restarting the server or at least the BITS service.

You could also try re-registering all the WSUS DLL's

net stop wuauserv
                        REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll /u
                        REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll /u
                        REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll /u
                        REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll /u
                        REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll /u
                        REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
                        REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
                        REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
                        REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
                        REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll
                        net start wuauserv

If it's running on 2000 change the c:\windows to c:\winnt

Thats All I can think of mate

Michael
                        Michael Armstrong
                        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

hi mate,

I've tried that, some of the Successed but some them weren't.
                          Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Yeap, noticed that the BITS service Status is set as Manual and it was Stopped. Turn it back to Auto and Restarted. Restarted the Server and Synchronization is fine now.

But noticed one thing guys, the SQL Server Service Manager is Stop since I installed the WSUS Server and whenever I turn it to Start I got an error message [bThe handle is invalid[/b]. This is installed when I install the WSUS Server and I selected the updates should stored Localy using the MSDE. Does that creating an issue also?

Thanks,

Habibalby
                            Last edited by habibalby; 11th November 2005, 16:02.
                            Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Hi Guys,

Again the WSUS it doesn't sychronize with the Windows Update, Suddenly, I got this error
                              Code:
                              System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A severe error occurred on the current command.  The results, if any, should be discarded.
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.DrainObsoleteConnections(SqlException e)
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.ExecuteReader()
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.MultipleResultSetsSPHandler.ExecuteStoredProcedure(DBConnection connection)
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.GenericDataAccess.ExecuteSP(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, IExecuteSPHandler handler)
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DataAccess.ExecuteSPMultipleResultSets(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, Type[] resultTypes)
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccess.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus()
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetStatus()
                                 at Administration.Reporting.CurrentStatus.CurrentStatusProxy.GetHomeStatus()
                                 at Administration.Reporting.ReportingXPost.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.DrainObsoleteConnections(SqlException e)
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.ExecuteReader()
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.MultipleResultSetsSPHandler.ExecuteStoredProcedure(DBConnection connection)
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.GenericDataAccess.ExecuteSP(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, IExecuteSPHandler handler)
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DataAccess.ExecuteSPMultipleResultSets(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, Type[] resultTypes)
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccess.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus()
                                 at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetStatus()
                                 at Administration.Reporting.CurrentStatus.CurrentStatusProxy.GetHomeStatus()
                                 at Administration.Reporting.ReportingXPost.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                              Any help to get rid of this forever ?

Thanks,

Habibalby
                              Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Working...