Change Management

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Management

We recently had an audit & one of the areas we were asked to improve on was our change management process. Can anyone suggest any software we can track our change management process in?

Or how do you guys do this?

Re: Change Management

Change Management is not driven by software or whatever specific tools you use for your change management procedures. Its driven by the procedures in place that your company use for addressing change.
    Accompanying software only helps as a physical audit trail for documenting changes. IE minutes from the Change Advisory Board. Requests for Change that may have been submitted/denied/approved. A change Calender etc.
    Fundamentally it is the job of the CAB members or whomever is in charge of change management to address this.
    You can use basic tools such as Sharepoint, MS Office, or even Public Folders as a freely available repository that CAB members have access to for documented changes. The tool itself is not the issue though. Your change management "process" is.
    That said most Helpdesk or call logging tools provide a means for recording changes.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I think the issue then is we do have change management in place as we record everything on a web based Helpdesk system called SysAid, this gives us a full audit trail from start to finish about any changes we make, But because I donít have a document detailing the procedure the auditor said we didnít have any change management in place.

There is only 2 of us who work in the IT team and we know all the procedural stuff but we just havenít had time to document it all yet. At this late point in the day the auditor couldnít find anything to pick us up on, she then started clutching at straws trying to find things to trip us up on which werenít perfect.

Comment

just document it then

your change process should usually include:
        requestor, approver, implementor, testing complete, testing signoff, production complete, production signoff,
        reason for change, objects being changed, date of change, info on the change
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for this its a great help.

Comment

Originally posted by Deland01 View Post
            Thanks for the feedback, I think the issue then is we do have change management in place as we record everything on a web based Helpdesk system called SysAid, this gives us a full audit trail from start to finish about any changes we make, But because I donít have a document detailing the procedure the auditor said we didnít have any change management in place.

There is only 2 of us who work in the IT team and we know all the procedural stuff but we just havenít had time to document it all yet. At this late point in the day the auditor couldnít find anything to pick us up on, she then started clutching at straws trying to find things to trip us up on which werenít perfect.
            For a team of 2 people you dont require a formal process. The only thing you should be concerned about is adequate documentation which is for your own benefit. Many in IT treat documentation as a swear word but its a vital for an efficient IT department.

Comment

documentation is especially important if you're expecting to grow, or get new staff, or supoprt multiple cilents.

someone new will start, and you "just know" how something works, but the new starter will have no idea

I'm working at a palce where there is very little documentation - and I find it hard. It's taking me sometimes twice as long as it otherwise would, because i have to map everything out and figure what's going on
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Same here, one of my main tasks was to documeht everything when I was set on as there was notthing at all in place, but the problem I have is I simply dont have enough time to document and administer the network. The documentation side always slips.

Comment

that's also the problem here - documentation slips in the rush to keep up with fixing things etc.

I've found a network map for one client that's got the networks and relationships etc, but then there's no ip addressing on it - so It doesn't really help me so much

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                    that's also the problem here - documentation slips in the rush to keep up with fixing things etc.

I've found a network map for one client that's got the networks and relationships etc, but then there's no ip addressing on it - so It doesn't really help me so much
                    http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php

Try this application called "The Dude". Its freeware. Iv used it before for mapping out networks. Has a nice neat web front end too.

Comment

may not be useful in my current situation, but i'll definitely take a look =- thanks mate

Comment

Working...
                      X