Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Openfiler iSCSI target vs. Samba vs. NFS share file transfer speed

Hi All,

I'd like to know which one is the fastest transfer / throughput rate across the network for the file sharing ?

I'm trying to create some more datastore for storing the very large backup to disk files.

so I'm now considering between running the following over the network:

Ubuntu Server + Samba
    Openfiler + iSCSI target (never try this before).

all of those will be over the gigabit network.

Thanks.

Re: Openfiler iSCSI target vs. Samba vs. NFS share file transfer speed

the shared network drive will be mainly used by Windows Server 2003.

Comment

Wrong forum?

OpenFiler supports NFS and iSCSI. Theres no need to bother with Ubuntu + SAMBA. Because you are using software based iSCSI the limitation is the network speed. Seeing as you are using Gigabit and not dedicated HBA's this should pose no issues. Additionally you could seperate the traffic by having it on its own VLAN.

Comment

Moved to Misc forum.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
          Wrong forum?

OpenFiler supports NFS and iSCSI. Theres no need to bother with Ubuntu + SAMBA. Because you are using software based iSCSI the limitation is the network speed. Seeing as you are using Gigabit and not dedicated HBA's this should pose no issues. Additionally you could seperate the traffic by having it on its own VLAN.
          Many thanks for the reply, or having its own dedicated Uplink NIC into the backup server, would that be helpful ?

Comment

Originally posted by Albertwt View Post
            Many thanks for the reply, or having its own dedicated Uplink NIC into the backup server, would that be helpful ?
            Thats fine also. As long as the switchport is in its own VLAN or a seperate network.

Comment

For what usage are you planning this?
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                For what usage are you planning this?
                thanks for the reply Dumber, I'm using this only for the backup to disk storage so reliability is the key here rather than speed.

here's the benchmark using Diskspeed from Physical Windows Server 2003 using iSCSI initiatorto my OpenFiler 2.3 with Block IO mode and write-thru mode.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X