Win XP Automated System Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP Automated System Recovery

I recently purchased a new PC with no floppy drive, thinking that I no longer needed this ancient hardware.

Then I suffered a pretty serious crash and had to reinstall everything, losing some data files in the process.

This situation has me thinking long and hard about backup scenarios, thus to the topic of ASR. Alas, ASR requires the services of a floppy drive!

Is there any way to "trick" ASR and use some other storage medium (CD, USB memory key) to save the system settings in a usable format?

Thanks for any tips / suggestions -

Chaz

I have just had a play with this (on your behalf!) and I can save the system state to a USB key.

I know DELL PC's can boot from a USB key (its one of the BIOS boot options) so I presume this would allow you to restore from th system state from that location as well? but I didn't didn't try that bit!

You will probably have to find out if your PC will boot from USB first.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
    If at first you dont succeed, Google it!

Comment

If you are useing the new Nero 6 Ult. it has backup built into that software.
      It will let you backup to what ever you want to use. I've not had any problems with it yet.
      "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without Result" -Winston Churchill

Comment

Re: Win XP Automated System Recovery

hiiii avery one

Comment

Originally posted by aymansaber
          hiiii avery one
          Perhaps this would have been more usefull in the 'coffee Lounge' Forum. Please read all rules before making any more posts:

http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=20

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by aymansaber
            hiiii avery one
            Tom, he's all yours, unless Daniel sees it first.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Dont know how to split a thread, so I'll leave it to Daniel to terminate with extreme prejudice!

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Last time I split one I made a mess, no, not THAT kind of mess.

I was hoping you would have some witty post you could make but alas it was not to be. I think we just keep an eye on aymansaber and if he posts in the wrong Forum with a silly title..............Muhahahahaha!!
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry, witty posts are off at the moment -- too tired!

Tom
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can 'trick' the ASR into running without a floppy drive. When it gets to the point where it writes to the floppy just cancel it. It writes two files, which are used for recovery, to the Windows\Repair directory. After you complete your ASR copy these two files (asr.sif and asrpnp.sif) to a network location and then make the floppy eslewhere. Make sure that you update your floppy EVERY time you do a new ASR or your backup will be hosed.

Or, you can use a USB floppy. This is sometimes the only option, especially if you need to install SCSI or SATA drivers during the recovery.

Comment

Thetsg, a very old thread but soem very nice info. Thanks for sharing that with us. Someone in the future may find that very handy to know.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X