Flash ROM Formatter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash ROM Formatter

Is it possible to use the normal Window Format program to reformat the memory of a Flash Rom, such as in an MP3 etc player to clear out corrupted files and folders that cannot be deleted? Otherwise is there software around to reformat the memory?

I assume if a reformat is successful it will not prevent the MP3 etc software running again.

Gordon

Re: Flash ROM Formatter

If it registers as a drive in Windows, yes -- just right click and format
    Of course it may require some custom format to play the music

Make and model, please, so you can get some more informed help
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again, but what do you mean by custom format to play the music ? Do you mean all the DLLs and software installed with Windows anyway, or will if be safe if I replace all the orignal existing files supplied with the MP3 Player I have kept copies?

Comment

Some music players work as flash drives in Windows, but may not use a regular (FAT or NTFS) format, instead relying on driver software to interpret the custom format. If this is the case, a windows reformat will break the device. Others may have a custom folder structure that will not survive a format.

Because we do not actually have a clue what device you are talking about, how can we tell you?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks it is only a cheap Player from ebay at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-FANCY-4GB-...item230b696e4e

How do I find out the type of format being used please?

Gordon

Comment

You could check its properties when plugged into your PC (I assume it appears as yet another drive letter?)
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thanks very much. Properties showed it is using FAT32, and allowed me reformat it in a few seconds. I copied back all the files originally supplied. However I suspect none are really needed and are just examples supplied for testing. It all works ok running MP3,WMA,TXT, and JPGs. WMVs etc run after converting to AMVs with the software supplied.

It appears the problem was due to near the end of the tiny manual ( in poor English ) it warms when deleting files to disconnect from the PC to await processing. Something that never appears necessary with a conventional Flash ROM.

Comment

Sometimes there are files supplied to allow you to partition the storage and password protect it. Had to do this to my daughter's USB device because the school scaned the device when it was inserted into a USB port and automatically deleted MP3, JPG, WAV etc etc files. The script and subsequent scan could not get into the password protected partition so all her "important" songs were safe from deletion. Kekekekekeke.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X