Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer Laptop, What Kind of Connector?

Hi,

Attached are photos of the inside of my Acer ES11 11" laptop ... a series of closeups of a compartment that seems custom built for a disk drive but what I don't know is what the connector at the end is.

Anyone got any idea?

Thx

Keke
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Hopefully the image from I FixIt will display but from their instructions on removing a motherboard you can see the pins on the lefts side that indicate that it uses a SATA drive. YouTube videos also show this model uses SATA drives.

What is the manufacture date of this device? If it is a late model on I would expect it to have an M.2 SSD rather than something proprietary like that. It does sort of look like the connector on a USB portable that doesn't have the standard SATA connector.

The Acer Forums may be a good place to find out what it is.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Hopefully the image from I FixIt will display but from their instructions on removing a motherboard you can see the pins on the lefts side that indicate that it uses a SATA drive. YouTube videos also show this model uses SATA drives.
      Thx for those, some interesting stuff there.

What is the manufacture date of this device? If it is a late model on I would expect it to have an M.2 SSD rather than something proprietary like that. It does sort of look like the connector on a USB portable that doesn't have the standard SATA connector.
      The ES1-132-C06L is one of those real lightweight jobs with a 32GB "hard drive" soldered in ... that's my basic problem with it. The OS plus MS Office pretty much takes up all of that space ... I've countered that by using a 64GB USB3 drive but it's not a very good solution. Fairly obviously, the space is where a hard drive would have gone had it been a model with one.

The machine is an Acer ES1-132-60CL, model no. N16Q6. So you don't think that's some kind of SATA connector? I mean, probs not since SATA (even without power) seems to be 7 data lines whereas that socket seems to be 4. USN maybe?

Acer Forums may be a good place to find out what it is.
      Yeah, sounds like a plan ... thx

Keke

Comment

The ES1-132-C06L is one of those real lightweight jobs with a 32GB "hard drive" soldered in ... that's my basic problem with it. The OS plus MS Office pretty much takes up all of that space ... I've countered that by using a 64GB USB3 drive but it's not a very good solution. Fairly obviously, the space is where a hard drive would have gone had it been a model with one.

The machine is an Acer ES1-132-60CL, model no. N16Q6. So you don't think that's some kind of SATA connector? I mean, probs not since SATA (even without power) seems to be 7 data lines whereas that socket seems to be 4. USN maybe?

Keke

Comment

Why are my posts saying "unapproved"?

EDIT: Though that one didn't.

Keke

Comment

EDIT: Took out the links ... screwed up my post for some reason.

The machine is an ES1-132-60CL, model no. N16Q6. So you don't think that's some kind of SATA connector? I mean, probs not since SATA (even without power) seems to be 7 data lines whereas that socket seems to be 4. USB maybe?

Keke
            Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 12th October 2017, 17:37.

Comment

UPDATE: You were right ... the forums had the answer. I had to buy an Acer cable (50.GG2N7.004) which was 10 (27 inc delivery) from some company but I found the same thing on eBay for 10 all in

Thx for your help

Keke
              Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 25th October 2017, 06:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
                Why are my posts saying "unapproved"?

Keke
                It's not a bug but a feature. Honestly, none of us have an freaking idea why it does that. Let's just put it down to shitty vBulletin software.

1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

UPDATE: I received and installed the aforementioned cable AOK. My underspecced latop now has a 128GB SSD instead ... in actual fact the drive was physically too big but, it turns out, easy to dismantle so I took the casing off and stuck the circuit board inside with double sided, cushioned tape stuff.

One problem remains, which is that the system no longer fully shuts down i.e. when I shut it down it does it, but the little red power light doesn't go out where it did before. I have to hold the power button down for a few seconds ...

C'est la vie

Keke

Comment

Have you tried changing the settings inside the Advanced (I think it is) link in Power Options. Please wait. the dickhead is just going to check the actual location............

El Capitan........I'm baaaack. You know, like here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dickheads-location.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.2 KB ID:	514596
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Have you tried changing the settings inside the Advanced (I think it is) link in Power Options. Please wait. the dickhead is just going to check the actual location............

El Capitan........I'm baaaack. You know, like here.
                      LOL. Thx but nothing much there ... it was a new build on the internal SSD and I had changed the power setting in respect of staying awake when plugged in but nothing else. It may be hardware related.

I wonder if it's material that I rebuilt it on the new drive (drive 0 in computer management) and/or upgraded to W10 Pro? I updated to the latest BIOS and used all the relevant drivers from the Acer site.

Keke
                      Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 26th October 2017, 19:44.

Comment

Working...
                      X