Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory cleaning tools

Hey guys,
    How do we all feel about memory cleaning tools like clean mem etc? Anyone use any they rate? Have a server or 2 that is heavy utilized so these might be useful to get abit of extra performance!

Re: Memory cleaning tools

Snake oil, that's how I feel about such programs.

There are times when OS memory management can and will cause problems. The most common case is stack fragmentation. It can happen in classic programs (like C and C++ where memory allocation is a manual process), but not really on bytecode systems (like Java and .Net where memory allocation is an VM automatic process).

If memory fragmentation occurs, fix the reason - not the symptom.

-vP

Comment

Depends on the OS, hardware and 3rd party software.

New MS products handle memory with some intelligance, older ones do not and have no way to "flush" the ram.

On my old XP computer, I noticed upto a 30% increase in proformance, where on my win 7 computer, unless something is holding all my memory, it does very little.

I find app like Enditall are better, as that will kill anything that is not needed for the computer to run. Takes abit of time, but once you know exactuly what apps need to run, you can create rules for them, so they will not be shutdown.

Now a Warning, 90% of the "Ram Cleaners" "Reg cleaners" are Virus or Rouge AV's. I would only use one if it is completely free (and hosted on a open software site), or one that is designed by a well known company.

Wofen
      Good to be back....

Comment

I always find regular reboots do an excellent job of cleaning memory (almost as good as a bucket of soapy water and a stiff brush )

I havent found a 3rd party one that does any good at all
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          I always find regular reboots do an excellent job of cleaning memory (almost as good as a bucket of soapy water and a stiff brush )

I havent found a 3rd party one that does any good at all
          Well.. yeah, nothing will ever be as good as a restart, except the restart takes 20-30 mins (upwards of a hour on some sites), a memory flush takes 20-30 seconds :P.

I would rather use a tool to keep my memory usage low, rather then clean it out after its all been used.

Wofen
          Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
            I would rather use a tool to keep my memory usage low, rather then clean it out after its all been used.
            Memory not used is memory wasted. A decent system uses any spare RAM as disk cache if there is no other use for it. If you constantly have a lot of spare RAM, you got too much memory on the system.

Good thing that Hyper-V will get dynamic memory on SP1.

-vP

Comment

Personally I agree with Ossian, a reboot is always the way to go. I feel the same way about memory cleaners as I do about Registry Cleaners/optimisers I.e. they ain't getting on one of my machines.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

The mind boggles what is running on a server which takes an hour to reboot! It wasn't made by Charles Babbage by any chance?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  The mind boggles what is running on a server which takes an hour to reboot! It wasn't made by Charles Babbage by any chance?

Nope a SBS 2003 Prem box running SQL server on top of everything else with a massive database, that cost $5000 5 years ago

Little business thinking they need everything....

Also, I do not believe that a mem tool is a replacemnet for a restart, but some processes leave alot of ram tied up for some time (some imaging software, some database tasks), and its nice to free the Ram back up when your finished.

Wofen
                  Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
                    Nope a SBS 2003 Prem box running SQL server on top of everything else with a massive database, that cost $5000 5 years ago
                    A well-known problem. The reason is that Exchange shutdown has a long timeout. Either pull a registry fix or stop the services manually prior reboot.

-vP

Comment

Originally posted by vonPryz View Post
                      A well-known problem. The reason is that Exchange shutdown has a long timeout. Either pull a registry fix or stop the services manually prior reboot.

-vP
                      Thanks for the hint but already applied. The server just does not have the Ram or Processor speed to handle the tasks given to it.

I have not thought about stopped the services before I attempt the shutdown, I will try that and see if it helps, but we just never restart it other then at night.

For how over worked it is, its amazingly stable.

Wofen
                      Good to be back....

Comment

Working...
                      X