Waiting USB disks to initialize

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting USB disks to initialize

I'm trying to install Windows (Vista first, for a multiboot machine) from a USB drive. I've tried USB 1, 2, and 3, and I get to the GUI portion of setup, and a window pops up and gives me the error message in the subject line. It repeats this message every 4 seconds, and after a few of those it tells me to pull the USB drive for 5 seconds and plug it back in. Then it goes back to the repeated error messages. I'm using a program called WinSetupFromUSB. I suppose I should have tested it before putting 15 different operating systems on my flash drive.

I suspect you have a corrupt WIM file on your USB drive, or possibly a dodgy USB drive - try creating a new one and seeing how that works

Vista...????? WTF????
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I do QA for a security software company, and we've got customers that are still on XP. Gotta test 'em all!

Also, I've tried two different USB drives (one SanDisk, one Kingston), and I get the message both times.

Comment

Have you tried a new Vista ISO download?

Commiserations on having to work with all that - can't you just claim some OSes aren't supported
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Believe me, I wish it was as simple as all that, but if our customers can't get support from us for what they're running, they'll go to someone who will.

Am trying the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool now.

Comment

Well, the new tool gets me past the "Install Now" screen, but now I'm getting "a required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing." I really miss internal CD-ROMs.

Comment

Working...
            X