MS Project 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Project 2010

Hello! I use MS Project 2010 for several years. And there is one Project file which I also work for a very long time. Recently when I tried to open this file I received the message:
    Project cannot open the file
    -check that the file name & Path are correct
    -check that the file format is recognized by project
    This .mpp file was created in MS Project 2010 and all the time I was working in this version of the program. The only thing that happened is Windows 10 updated. The file is not opened on another computer. Could the file get damaged due to updates Windows 10?

Can you open it on another computer? Have you tried restoring an earlier version and seeing if that will open? Have you tried running a repair installation of Project 2010?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Mmmmm.... Spam Magnet....
      WARNING to any new members who post links to any commercial product - you WILL be banned
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I tried to open it on another computer where you have installed the Office 2007 but the office also gave the error that MS project cannot open the file.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
          Can you open it on another computer? Have you tried restoring an earlier version and seeing if that will open? Have you tried running a repair installation of Project 2010?
          I tried to do as you said and run the recovery file in the program itself, but the resulting file is opened with letters and different symbols and hieroglyphs and lost all pictures that were there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Mmmmm.... Spam Magnet....
            WARNING to any new members who post links to any commercial product - you WILL be banned
            For me it doesn't matter if even any new user as I gives me a real manual what I need to do to return the file or advise a good program even pay. I am willing to accept any help and advice. so I see no reason for someone to ban for helpful tips.

Comment

FYI, we regularly get spam attacks in the form of
              a) Someone (a new member normally) posts a seemingly legitimate request for help, normally with corrupt files or lost data)
              b) Other new members post replies saying "buy this commercial product" with a link to it
              c) Sometimes this is disguised as a link to another forum where someone says "buy this commercial product"
              d) Moderators and admins delete the posts in (b) or (c) and ban the poster

I'm not saying your post is one of these, but prefer to set the ground rules immediately. If a long-established member (typically 10 posts or more) links to something, it is different, but all the staff here have far too much experience of spammers.

Do you have a recent backup of the file you can revert to - from your description your copy is corrupt. I do not think Windows 10 is the cause, more likely something like removing a USB drive while copying the file
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Try some of these troubleshooting steps listed below on the project.mvps.org website.

If that doesn't help You'll probably going to have to start looking at data recovery tools, as is sounds like the header is corrupt.
                I haven't tried this Online Service for file recovery mpp, but I read many good reviews about it on other forums, and you could see if this service works for you.
                Last edited by Ossian; 27th January 2017, 08:51. Reason: Removed commercial Link

Comment

If it works there is probably a fee involved, so you would need to decide how valuable that project file is... Make sure you have a back of the current file before attempting any kind of repair.
                  Troubleshooting steps: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Han...n_and/or_bloat

Comment

Thank you all for your advice! The issue has been resolved. I'm appreciative for your responses and help.

Comment

Originally posted by ragnar.atlason View Post
                      Thank you all for your advice! The issue has been resolved. I'm appreciative for your responses and help.
                      How did you fix it?
                      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                      X