IPv6 and Windows 10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPv6 and Windows 10

A colleague has put an SSD in a desktop machine to replace the 1TB spinning rust. When the 1TB was the only drive, data would transfer at high speed in both directions. Can't remember the file size but it took about 12 or so seconds. When the SSD was the boot drive and the 1TB was just a data drive, data could be copied from the Win10 machine as per normal but copying the file back took 15 minutes. At first the 1TB drive was suspected as being the problem but it turned out that Windows 10 had Updated and re-enabled IPv6. Once IPv6 was disabled on Windows 10, the file would copy to the 1TB HDD in the previously normal 12 or so seconds.

One to watch out for boys and girls. I don't know the network configuration or what Server O/S was used just that disabling IPv6 rectified the issue.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Interesting - I have not tried disabling it, but do note slow transfers over WiFi

How did you disable it - just in network properties, or in the registry as well?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I believe it was just in network properties.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
      X