Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electricity Help

Hello,

I am building out a server room and the engineers are asking which type of power i want 120v or 240v. How do i know which is the difference. I know we are going to be filling the rack with typical switches, firewalls, servers im just confused on why i might need 240v or 120v

thanks for your help

Re: Electricity Help

Most but not all IT kit will run on either voltage, either by switching a PSU from one to the other (get it wrong and it can blow up) or by auto switching (e.g. laptops)

What is the standard voltage for your country?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian thanks for your reply Im in the US (NY) and our standard is 120v

Comment

I would assume you want 120V then, but probably a US member will be along to confirm that.

Check your current equipment for voltages
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I thought US voltage was 110V.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

While this could become a long, in depth discussion the quick and dirty answer is 120V. Many pieces of equipment (servers) will run on 120V or 240V but if you're not sure which you need, and you're in the US, select 120V.

I've heard it called everything from 110V to 115V to 120V but 120V is technically correct.

Comment

also, make sure your electricians run multiple lines into your server room, attached to separate circuit breakers, and preferably separate distribution boards.

our server room, we had two runs built, on separate circuit breakers (we only had one DB) - this way, if one circuit blows or whatever, you've got the redundancy from the other.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Contact the manufacturers of your UPS equipment and ask them the best voltage to run at.

Who cares what your servers are because they are all running from your UPS equipment.

You are running UPS's aren't you????

Comment

Isn't 240V for REALLY big electrical loads?

No idea what we have, but the power backup / distribution stuff for 7 racks is twice as big as the all of the racks lol! Pinky and the Brain require a lot of juice apparently

Comment

nah 240v is used in many placed throughout the world as standard mains power....
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                      Isn't 240V for REALLY big electrical loads?

No idea what we have, but the power backup / distribution stuff for 7 racks is twice as big as the all of the racks lol! Pinky and the Brain require a lot of juice apparently
                      I know that most, if not all, Dell servers in the US will run on either 120V or 240V. The advantage of running them on 240V is that you will reduce your amperage draw per server which will reduce your power costs. In most data centers you pay for power per amp so running on 240V can significantly reduce what you pay for power.

Comment

that's really hand to know, thanks JoeQ

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                          that's really hand to know, thanks JoeQ
                          Glad to add my two cents.

Comment

Working...
                          X