Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intranet

Hello,
    I was giving a task to create intranet for my agency. I know there is a Share Point server from MS but that's too complicated and has tons of features that I don't even need.
    I am looking for something very simple and very user friendly. This will be mostly informative intranet rather then work tool (share HR/agency announcemnet, store some training videos, forms, maybea few work realted clips.) I was hoping there is some kind of application that can be loaded on to my server or pc that will let me control(upload/change) the data with as well as let me choose a design.
    Any help is appretiated.

Thank you

Re: Intranet

Reported to be moved to th right forum..
    Maxim42, with 71 posts you should know better than posting on the coffee lounge forum.
    ...back to your query, Wordpres or joomla should do the trick. Google CMS for more options.
    Last edited by L4ndy; 22nd September 2010, 22:26.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Don't forget Drupal.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Or Wordpress. http://wordpress.org/
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

TBH, sharepoint may still be your best bet -- free, wizard driven setup and very usable (IMHO)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

SharePoint is shouting out here. I am not sure what servers you already have in your environment but below are the free versions.

Windows 2003 - WSS 3.0
            Windows 2008 - WSS 3.0 or SharePoint Foundation 2010

There are loads of resources available for setting one up and you really don't need to do anything special with regards to what you want to achieve.

How is your SQL server setup?
            Last edited by Virtual; 23rd September 2010, 09:53.

Comment

With SharePoint I will have to purchase a separate server to run this on.
              I don't have a SQL server installed.
              I do have a server that I can use but it's an older server and is already acting as Symantec server +DNS and DHCP. I am afraid loading Share Point on it will slow it down.
              Thoughts ?

Comment

Sharepoint will run on SQLExpress or Windows Internal Database
                What servers do you have now?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I have Exchange, Fileserver and Finance Apps .None of them I can use for SharePoint.
                  Then there is an odler server (Server 2003) which is right now serving as Symantec, DNS, DHCP and DC server. That I can use for Share point.
                  Specs are: Intel Xeon 2.0GHz, 2G. about 30G free of space.
                  Do you think it will be able to pull it through ?

Comment

I would think so -- try it and you can always uninstall
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Let us know how you get on. If I am installing SharePoint on the same box, I tend to download the Express edition of SQL and during the SharePoint install, will then point to the SQL instance installed prior to installing SharePoint.

Comment

You can always install SharePoint in a Virtual Machine. You would need a spare Server license.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X