Spam is being sent from my e-mail address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam is being sent from my e-mail address

So, my hotmail address sent spam to every single person on my contact list, including co-workers and former clients. The e-mail is basically just a link with no message and if you click on the link it's an ad for an erectile dysfunction drug. The e-mails actually appear in my sent folder after they are sent. This is the second time that this has happened. How do I stop this?

Re: Spam is being sent from my e-mail address

You have an infection of some sort
    What AntiVirus are you using?

Update it, fully scan your system. If they do a boot time tool, get that and boot to a CD to scan "offline"
    Also get some (free) software like Malwarebytes (other products exist) and scan with that.
    Use HijackThis to get logs and post them on their site -- you will get more specific advice

Do this multiple times until you are satisfied
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      You have an infection of some sort
      What AntiVirus are you using?

Update it, fully scan your system. If they do a boot time tool, get that and boot to a CD to scan "offline"
      Also get some (free) software like Malwarebytes (other products exist) and scan with that.
      Use HijackThis to get logs and post them on their site -- you will get more specific advice

Do this multiple times until you are satisfied
      I'm using Norton. I did a full system scan with Norton and no viruses or spyware was detected. I also scanned with Malwarebytes and nothing was found. I don't think it's a virus. Is it possible someone hacked into my e-mail account? Would changing my password help?

Comment

Yes, changing your password would be a VERY good idea, but I would still scan your system with a real AV application as well as some antispyware. Norton does not (IMHO) qualify on either count.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

These kind of attacks are quite common from Hotmail, Yahoo etc. Inspect the email headers if you recieve any NDR's. This will give you a rough idea of the origin of the attack. More than likely your password for your hotmail account wasnt very strong and has thus been compromised.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
            These kind of attacks are quite common from Hotmail, Yahoo etc. Inspect the email headers if you recieve any NDR's. This will give you a rough idea of the origin of the attack. More than likely your password for your hotmail account wasnt very strong and has thus been compromised.
            What is an NDR? What does it mean for a password to not be strong?

Comment

NDR - http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Strong Password info - http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...g+pass&gs_rfai=
              Last edited by biggles77; 7th September 2010, 05:46. Reason: Typos
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ah yes, I have been getting NDRs. Actually, my e-mail has been flooded with them. There is no subject to the e-mails, though. The only thing in the e-mails is this link: <SPAM LINK REMOVED> I haven't clicked on the link, but people have told me that it takes you to an ad for erectile dysfunction.

Anyway, changing my password seemed to have worked, as I only received two NDRs today as opposed to the dozen or so that I was receiving previously. By the way, is it bad to have Firefox remember my password? Does that make it easier for people to hack into it?
                Last edited by Wired; 9th September 2010, 04:22. Reason: removed link

Comment

Sometimes they'll send fake emails that they'll KNOW will bounce so your mail server brings them back to you as "error messages", but still contain the ad. This gets around the spam filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Moron View Post
                    Ah yes, I have been getting NDRs. Actually, my e-mail has been flooded with them. There is no subject to the e-mails, though. The only thing in the e-mails is this link: <SPAM LINK REMOVED> I haven't clicked on the link, but people have told me that it takes you to an ad for erectile dysfunction.

Anyway, changing my password seemed to have worked, as I only received two NDRs today as opposed to the dozen or so that I was receiving previously. By the way, is it bad to have Firefox remember my password? Does that make it easier for people to hack into it?
                    If your PC is compromised remotely or from the console then yes it is very easy to reverse engineer the passwords from Firefox itself as it allows this function.
                    With IE though saved passwords again can be grepped from the registry using a number of small utilities that strobe the registry hives and retrieve cached password information.
                    Best practice is to ensure you use strong or even cryptic passwords. If you are worried about your machine being compromised do not save passwords within any web browser.
                    PWgen is a free application that generates cryptic passwords.

Comment

Working...
                    X