Looking for Sharepoint 2010 user base vs server load info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Sharepoint 2010 user base vs server load info

Looking to see if there's a chart or whitepaper or something out there that shows a rough comparison of # of average users to a server load amount so that we can guesstimate how beefy our SharePoint 2010 server will need to be for current / future use.

This same server build will be potentially interfacing with Team Foundation Server 2010, OneNote and Dynamics CRM. Haven't looked into it yet, so I don't know if they'll be on separate servers or on the SPS 2010 server. Similarly, we haven't decided where it's SQL DB will be, locally or in the cluster.

Small company ATM, so we're only looking at 10 users on CRM and 20 on TFS, and those numbers are padded. 100 users in the company total with padding to spare to include heavy growth. As you can see there's lots of known variables that could easily change the load.

I've found some info from MS that's said what to use for a "small deployment", but what's their definition of that? Closest thing I could find was this:

Small Farm Deployment
    A small farm deployment consists of a single database server or cluster and one or two SharePoint Server 2010-based computers. The major architecture characteristics include limited redundancy and failover, and a minimal set of SharePoint Server capabilities enabled.
    A small farm is useful to serve only limited deployments, with a minimal set of service applications enabled, a relatively small user base, a relatively low usage load (a few request per min up to very few requests per second), and a relatively small volume of data (10s of gigabytes).
    Can't see us having anywhere near that amount of data on SPS 2010 (especially since we're just going to link to docs on the file servers and not store them inside of SPS itself).

Personally I'm thinking that one server that we can build up if need be should be more than enough for quite a while. Does anyone have experience with SP 2010 and/or can point me to some good white papers?

Also, the first person that points me to a Google domain or lmgtfy.com is gonna get banned
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Looking for Sharepoint 2010 user base vs server load info

Not sure about 2010 but in 2007 best practice was to separate the db from Sharepoint (or at least not use the ghastly internal database) so you could scale it easily to a farm. I assume the same applies in 2010. Go Virtual and it will be easy to scale up processors and RAM -- disk space does not appear to be an issue from what you say
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Looking for Sharepoint 2010 user base vs server load info

Yeah, we're not lacking in hardware. I think because of TFS (which someone told me yesterday is a resource hog b/c of what it does) we're going to put it on hardware directly.

Comment

Working...
      X