Floppy Formats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floppy Formats

I used to be able to reformat old 750K 3.5 in Floppies such as for the Amiga to use on a PC say using RUN as below. But the system now ignores such a commnand even on an older PC. Both use Windows XP, and neither will allow it even under DOS.

Anyone know why and how to correct the problem. Floppies can still be the quickest and most convenient way to transfer small files between PCs

FORMAT A: /F:720 /U

Re: Floppy Formats

Please, Gordon, do youself a favour and buy a USB stick. 4Gb (just under 6000 of your single sided floppies) will cost you well under 10 and smaller ones are being given away free if you know where to look. Natively supported in XP too.

Floppies are slow, almost unsupported, impossible to source, drives are difficult to get....
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian. Problem is my pal who calls round here but does not have a USB stick. No problem with getting floppy drives, we get plenty going for a song at our club, also especially the CRT Monitors.

Perhaps MS in their wisdom have dreamed up a patch dumped on us to block formatting of of 750K floppies.

Comment

Surely you have a stack of (probably ex AO-hell) 1.44mb ones? I certainly do, for the very very occasional time (RAID drivers) when I need one. It may be that the original Amiga format creates some problem that prevents Windows formatting it -- even 7 still supports the higher capacity

Christmas is getting nearer, so thats you pal's present sorted
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon
          Floppies can still be the quickest and most convenient way to transfer small files between PCs
          Sorry, but that is just NOT correct. In addition, the mylar coating on these VERY old floppies will have almost certainly have degraded to where data corruption will occur.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
            I used to be able to reformat old 750K 3.5 in Floppies such as for the Amiga to use on a PC say using RUN as below. But the system now ignores such a commnand even on an older PC. Both use Windows XP, and neither will allow it even under DOS.

Anyone know why and how to correct the problem. Floppies can still be the quickest and most convenient way to transfer small files between PCs

FORMAT A: /F:720 /U
            Windows XP only supports the formatting of floppies to 1.44 MB

Use format.exe that was shipped with DOS 5.0 someway
            or use a 3rd-party tool,
            I.e. FDFORMAT.exe is a replacement for the DOS-Format program. This 16-bit program is a public-domain product for private and educational
            use. Download fdfrm18.zip from ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/diskutil/
            syntax, FDFORMAT A: /F:720 /U

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Sorry, but that is just NOT correct. In addition, the mylar coating on these VERY old floppies will have almost certainly have degraded to where data corruption will occur.
            I second that.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
            and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

If your disk is floppy and needs special formatting, go see a doctor, ok?

Comment

Or just open your junk mail folder
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Floppies... Just a few months ago I've grown them away.
                  It's quite some time ago I really used them.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I wish I had move the data off my old 5.25" disks before I sold my last drive. Dee Umm!!
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I found the answer to this eventually. MS in their infinite wisdom decided not to allow formatting of the older 720K floppies with such as Windows XP. So you need to boot up with the old DOS 6.22 to be sure FORMAT A:/F:720/U will be interpreted.

No doubt all part of the trend to make us buy new this and that. Though modern multi gig Flash ROMS maybe just as easy as a floppy, it is far cheaper to give a pal an old floppy for a small file and not ask for it back than allow him to keep a Flash ROM !!

Regarding 5.25 drives I see the Data plug appears the same as that for the 3.5 drives. Since 5.25 drives come with their own mains power supplies I would have thought they should still work on a modern PC. I still have 5.25 drives for the old BBC Computer and prbably can still be found on eBay etc. So perhaps some clever guy would know if the DIL switches can be chaged to match a PC.

Comment

Floppies, zip drives, whatever...
                        It's time to move on... Don't go back to the prehistoric time..
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

A 4GB (4092MB) USB drive for AUD$10 compared to 28 year old 1.44MB FDD technology and transfer speed as well as the failure rate of the old floppy media I feel that null and voids the use of floppies when it can be avoided.

Also, while the motherboard connector may be the same for a 5.25" FDD, the FDD connector is totally different. Can't even remember what the slot type connector was called now and who effing cares.

If you want to format the old floppies under XP, just punch a hole on the opposite side to the present one. Who remembers the old hole punches and actually purchased one. (Soldering iron worked just as well) This will turn your DD floppy into an HD floppy. All you have to wory about is "track drift".

Gordon, give me you postal address and I will send you a 128MB USB drive that I no longer use and you can GIVE it to your friend. Alternatively, http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for your kind offer, but I have a 1 Gb Flash ROM. It is just that I get visitors who amazingly cannot afford Broadband or want the Internet, so I cannot email them small files. So it is easier to give them a Floppy disk, especially now I found by booting up an older PC on a Floppy with DOS 6.2 I can still use old 720 K floppies from the old Ataris etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X