Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS/Exchange in one Server? & Other Server 4 Application? Thought needed

Hi Guys,

I just wondering if I can install Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition on another server to be able to use the WSUS and Exchange Server!

Actually, we do have one server that used for the SQL DB and Great Plains System. On this Server Win 2003 is installed and Active Directory and Domain has been configured. However, all the clients are using the Domain which is in this server to login into the Domain.

What I'm planning is not to envlove this server much as it's for the SQL DB as well as the Great Plains. What I want to do is to keep another Server with Windows 2003 running WSUS as well as Exchange Server. Will that will be works fine by Registring this Server into the Domain and point all the clients to use it for the WSUS and Exchange ?

What about the Active Directory in the Application Server? Will be effected if the clients are pointed to another Server for the using WSUS ?

I need your opinions guys.

Highly appreciated.

habibalby
    ================================
    HND: Higher National Diploma in
    Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
    MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
    Done:VMware DSA
    ================================[/COLOR]

Re: WSUS/Exchange in one Server? & Other Server 4 Application? Thought needed

Yes,

This should be fine - Might be an idea to make this a domain controller with DNS and DHCP (Split you scope between your main server and this one) Just incase anything happends to your first DC. It's not the best idea to have excahgne running on a Domain controller but we have it set-up here (Damm budget) and it works fine.

At least then if anything happends to your first DC then you have a resilient solution.

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hummm, i didn't get you mate. You mean when I set it up, I have to register in the Domain Controller ? Or in this server I have to make a Domain Controller simmilar to the exsisting once I have? In case if the main server goes down.

Thanks,

Habibalby
      Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

If you currently only have one DC then I would set-up the other server as a DC with DHCP (Split scope) and a global catalogue just incase your first DC ever goes down

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

U mean I have to make another DC in the WSUS /ExServer with DHCP to replicate the Main server incase if it's goes down or somthing happen to ti ?
          Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Hello there,

you can do that. The wsus server does not have to be very powerfull; you can use any computer with win2k3. There will be no issue with AD or else.

By the way, our company is going to get Great Plains, what can you tell me about that? Thank you
            [email protected]
            THKS

Comment

Thanks mate. Regarding the GPS, it's really Great system that can consist of as much modules as the company required. For us, we are using only 12 Modules and now we are planning to add 4 more. HR, Payroll, Account Analitical, and some modules related to the Accounts.

Moreover, it's has got new feature in 8.0 version, if you r having more than one branch you can let them access to GPS through the Web using MS Portals that link with GPS.

Habibalby
              Computer Science(IT)

Passed:

Comment

Working...
              X