No announcement yet.

I need to recover a zipped file from a corrupted hard drive

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to recover a zipped file from a corrupted hard drive

The hard drive is NOT physically damaged, only inaccessible due to the current state: I accidentally, began ghost imaging and completed about 10% of the initial process before I canceled it. So now the system won't boot. I get a single flashing cursor in the top left corner of the screen. If I connect the hard drive to a SATA-to-USB adapter and connect it to my Windows XP computer it will show that the 'Mass Storage Device' is found and installed. But I can't see the device in My Computer or Disk Management. What I think needs to be done is have the device connected via USB mounted so that I can use a file recovery program to scan the drive for files. Does anyone have any ideas? I know I can complete the reimage and then try to recover the file but its about 2.6 GB in size and I have a feeling that no programs will be able to successfully recover the whole file. I would like to recover the file without reimaging the drive because chances of the files being overwritten are much greater if the image completes.

Install a data recovery program and it may see the HDD when you connect it with the adapter. Do you have any data recovery software?
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

There are plenty of file recovery tools to deal with your problem. But whatever tool you use, I would still make an image of the damaged drive just in case that revovery tools makes more damage than necessary. [LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

Last edited by biggles77; 27th August 2015, 11:02.

Try testdisk.

I've used it on many occasions and recovered plenty of data with it.

or use Zip Restore Toolbox
          Last edited by wullieb1; 18th September 2015, 05:29. Reason: Spammer

Last edited by Ossian; 30th September 2015, 07:40.