​Unable to open Winzip file

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​Unable to open Winzip file

Hello Experts,

I am running Windows 7 and i have version 9.0

I have been given some movies in a Zip file however when i double click to open the Zip file i get this error, Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive
    If you are downloading this file try downloading it again

- So he transfered it to me via Pidgin Messaging tool its on my pc and i can see the file size 2gb

Can you please advise on what the workaround is to be able to open this

Many thanks

You could try using another archiver (I like WinRAR - which has a repair option) but ultimately if the file is corrupt, there is little you can do except re-obtain the original file
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

This might be worth a look. WinZip and corrupt file though I agree as usual with Tom that it may be a futile venture. If your friend zipped the files himself then ask him to reduce the size of the file (ie, make it into two files). If he got it from someone else, do NOT risk it. You have no idea what nasties may be in the zip.
      Last edited by biggles77; 18th July 2015, 12:00.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

Couple methods you may try instruction below, like a short guide, second method might be helpful in case another ways aren't effective

Click Start -> Click All Programs-> Click Accessories
        Right click on the Command Prompt and Run as Administrator ( Left click Command Prompt for Windows XP)
        Change directories to the file folder of the damaged Zip file is located
        Type: "C:Program FilesWinZipwzzip" -yf
        If the damaged file is spanned or split, use the following command:
        "C:Program FilesWinZipwzzip" -yfs

NOTE: This might not be a fool proof solution and you might loose the valuable data. Create a backup file before you carry out above mentioned steps.
        Last edited by wullieb1; 19th July 2015, 23:22. Reason: Removed the link to outside program.

2GB zip file, transferred via an IM tool, not opening. It's corrupt. Transfer again.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Visit following helpful resource
            Last edited by wullieb1; 29th July 2015, 04:54. Reason: link remioved

In my opinion the best zip util is 7-Zip. If that can't open it then try sending the file over via dropbox or something like that.
              Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
              I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
              MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

I second uk_network's 7-Zip suggestion. It's completely free, stable, reliable and feature rich. We been using in our organisation for many years. It also includes a Test utility so you can test a compressed file to try and find out what the problem may be.
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy