Windows Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Disk Cleanup and Defragmenter

Forgive my nervousness but is there any risk of using Windows Disk Cleanup to remove all the files allowed or even using the Defragmenter that it will corrupt the Windows Updates, resulting in you having to reinstall many all over again?
    I have known the AVG cleanup to badly corrupt the Windows updates both with Win 7 and Win XP, but then it might be my particular setups I suppose.

It's a Microsoft utility so there should not be any issues. If you are unsure and do not wish to take any chances make sure you backup your data before running it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...g-disk-cleanup
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks it is only Windows updates I lost when using the AVG cleanup. I wold not know how to collect and backup only Windows updates.

Comment

I don't understand how a product could manage the loss of Windows Updates - I reckon something else must have happened or you were unfortunate enough to have used an untested version which is unlikely.

Comment

I agree it might be my fault though updates became missing on two PCs. As anyone using AVG will confirm there is a button at the bottom saying FIX PERFORMANCE which you are allowed to use once for free. It first searches for various problems then you can OK for these to be corrected.

But never again for me, I prefer to use Ccleaner

Comment

I used to be a big fan of ccleaner but my Win 7 machine just suddenly developed a massive problem loading applications (I can't remember exactly what the issue was). I posted on Microsoft's forums and when the issue was resolved the person who had helped asked if I had been using a registry cleaner and I said yeah - ccleaner. He said that there was not a lot to gain and potentially more to lose when using registry cleaners. I've not used one for a long time now.

Comment

I agree though I still use Ccleaner for files I too had problems when using the Registry cleaner. The problem with the AVG cleaner is it also includes a registry cleaner, but if you allow it to clean up files I think you must allow it to clean up the registry as well.

Comment

Working...
              X