Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why move away from Windows 2000

Afternoon folks,

I need to produce a document outlining the reasons why we should move away from Windows 2000 server and Upgrade to 2003.

The format of my document will be to list the reasons why we should move away from windows 2000 and the benefits of what Windows 2003 will give us.

I have quite a bit of content for the benefits of windows 20003 but I need some more amunition on why we should move away from windows 2000. So far the only reason I have is because it is currentl in extended support phase.

Anyone think of any other reasons??

I am sure people have had to write a similar report

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Why move away from Windows 2000

Microsoft have stopped free support for it, after a while they will stop making patches for problems (like they have done with NT), newer hardware may not have drivers made available for it (unlikely for a while... some stuff still comes with 98 drivers!). Newer server applications may not work under 2000 (like future version of Exchange, SQL, ISA etc...).

This list was enough to force a move for us from 2000 to 2003 and 2000 Pro to XP Pro
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Cheers,

keep them comming

Thanks

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

Comment

hi,
        2003 is more secure and u can use wsus for patching.
        2000 has more bugs and look at the Zotob worm
        attack. Maybe u could include it in ur report.
        Anyway Microsoft will stop support for it at some
        point. So better to upgrade to Win 2003.
        Hope it helps.
        Cheers,
        Spidey

Comment

Gee you knwo what - I should be writing the same document considering that we are running Windows 2000 Server and we should really be on Windows 2003 Server.

There are some new features in 2003 which makes administration a whole lot easier and more stable and which gives more flexibility and stability.

I suspect that performance may even be better as well, depending on what you are running and what your hardware specs are.

I'm most certainly finding it on the desktop side with 2000 Pro and XP Pro.

Also, you ultimately have to ask yourself the question - why stay with 2000?

Comment

Originally posted by spidey2005
            hi,
            2003 is more secure and u can use wsus for patching.
            Spidey
            Already got it set-up on W2k srv

Cheers for the info though

I thought I would post the document as I suppose it might help other people. It's not huge but it should do the trick

Michael
            Attached Files
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

If you have xp machines, the gpo/gpmc feature differences between xp and 2000 server can be very restrictive.
              Backup using shadow copy is much more useful.
              Document versions can be very handy (when set up properly, you can get to multiple revisions of documents).

Hey - its worth it just for gpmc - if you run office, you can put the admin templates from the office resource kits straight into gpmc and you can do very simple things like - stop the bl**dy task pane when office starts up, specify users folders for office documents etc. Force menu styles - the lsit goes on...

Do you have user disk restrictions in server 2000?

Comment

The major reason to move to Win 2003 for small org. is the option to use "Shadow Copy" that cut the backup/restore time in case of problem.
                For large org. - Advanced TS, Advanced PKI and more.

Regards,

Yuval
                Best Regards,

Yuval Sinay

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/yuval14, Blog: http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/yuval14

Comment

Working...
                X