No announcement yet.

How to monitor data usage on wireless network

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to monitor data usage on wireless network

Perhaps its the most widely asked question because I've gone through various portals, blogs & discussion boards to find the accurate answer but nothing came close to what I am looking for.

Landscape: I've 4 computers at my home-office. 1 of them runs Windows XP professional & the other 2 have Windows 7 (well 1 has 64 bit & the other 32 bit version) & I have an Ubuntu machine on the same network.

Its all wireless & I am using a Netgear router which distributes my ADSL connection within the network. Everything comes & goes through the router. The router program is installed on Win XP machine through which I can access the router portal & see logs of sites visited.

What I want is a freeware software to install on Win XP (since it has the actual router software) which can tell me bandwidth usage of each computer on the network without having the software to install on every individual machine.

If the freeware can also tell me what sites are being accessed that will be cherry on the cake but simply telling me the usage of each computer will do the trick for now.

I've used multiple software(s) by this time & have had no success. Yes, I've netted google for freeware/shareware software(s) many a times.

Any inputs please.

Re: How to monitor data usage on wireless network

I don't think you can monitor individual machines from one unless you install some client software. Some Netgear routers have a traffic log but this will record total traffic. Yours clearly does have this

Really what you want is something like TMG with a Wireless Access Point inside the LAN and monitoring of all activity on the WAN
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **