Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where should I place Symantec Backup Exec?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I place Symantec Backup Exec?

Hello,

I am studying the software "Symantec Backup Exec 2012" , and I was wondering where it is best practises to install it: In a domain controller, in a sql server, in a machine only for this purpose...

Actually, the question is: Where do people really install it , in a dedicated server or they just install it along with other roles like a DHCP Server or a File server?

Thanks in advance.
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Backup Exec 2012.... best place is in the bin
    2010 and 2014 are both considerably better

Seriously, IMHO on a dedicated backup server (certainly not on a DC, although I suppose on a file server would be OK) with either its own copy of SQL server or an existing SQL box

Comment about DCs obviously does not apply in an SBS environment
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Why would you not put BE on a DC, also how would you backup the DC, just out of interest. Here to learn.

Comment

You would install the remote backup agent on the DC, but best practice is (still) to keep the minimum of additional roles on the DC apart from AD and DNS
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tolmie View Post
          Why would you not put BE on a DC, also how would you backup the DC, just out of interest. Here to learn.
          Because it give a hacker another potential avenue to exploit access to your DC's.

As Tom (Ossian) mentions keep the minimum of roles/software on a DC as you possibly can.

Comment

Customarily vague answer, but it depends.

SBE (Small Business Edition) used to have to be on the SBS Server, but that changed in 2012. Don't know if it's still the same in 2014 as I haven't used it yet. In 2012 you could place it anywhere in an SBS network, so either a dedicated server or whichever server had the most data to backup could be used.

In virtual setups, BE needs to be on a physical server but NOT the virtual host (no other role should ever be on that) as Hyper-V VMs can't access USB or SCSI. (VMWare might be different, don't use it much) I have, in the 2008 R2 days, installed BE on a physical DC as there was a requirement for a DC to be present before Hyper-V clusters would come up. That requirement has been removed in 2012 so you can have all virtual DCs if you want.

Placement very much depends on your own requirements, budget, volume of data to be backed up and where from and so on. And as Ossian said, avoid the 2012 version at all costs as it is appalling.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Backup Exec 2012.... best place is in the bin
              As soon as I saw the thread title I knew that would be posted. Haha

A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks mates, for your nice recommendations !!

I always try to keep DCs clean, but it seemed to me also a bad idea to place it on an Exchange server, or a SQL Server, because they are so important to the network.

-
                Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
                X