Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop does not start up

Hi,
    I have a samsung laptop R20 and the problem with it is that some time it boots and some times it doesn't, and it is the same when shuting down.

For example, when I press the power button to start up the light comes on and the fan starts but nothing comes on the screen, (no Bios or anything) and then i keep turning ON and OF, and sometimes take the battery of and push the power button to release any charge and eventually it starts.

And then same thing when I shut down, the windows shuts down but the power light and the fan still stay on and then have to push the power button to turn of the power.

I have a feeling it's the Graphic card about to die, but not to sure.

It is geting very frustraiting.

Any one has any sugestions, or solution to this????
    Last edited by ndrepebx; 23rd July 2010, 14:28.

Re: Laptop does not start up

If it is under warranty, send it off for repair
    If it is not, consider buying a new laptop
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It could be the gfx card, it could be the monitor or something else.
      As suggested by Ossian though, unless you really want get the tools out and tackle a laptop repair, I would consider an upgrade.
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

And then same thing when I shut down, the windows shuts down but the power light and the fan still stay on and then have to push the power button to turn of the power.
        What is the longest you have waited for the fan and light to turn off? Does the laptop overheat during normal use? You don't notice any other problems with the OS after it has been loaded?

Comment

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

sometimes the fan and light do not turn of at all, and I have to remove the battery out.
          The OS shuts down preperly though, but just the fan and the power light are still on.
          And as for overheating, i have cleaned the CPU and heatsink before and put new thermal compound on but it still seems to run quite hot, and the fan its working quite hard.
          When I start windows its all fine, but the only thing is that it looses the time and then I use the synchronize time with internet, but if the laptop is on for a long time, the time gets stuck behind again.
          I have bouhgt two second hand cmos batteries and that did not help and not sure if becouse they were dead as well. But then again even if the cmos battery was dead should the laptop loose the time while is still on?

Comment

Working...
          X