Need NAS device suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need NAS device suggestions

We are looking to move ahead with a document imaging project. Our current SAN is dedicated mostly to our virtual machines and is near its capacity. We don't have the funds to expand the SAN nor purchase a new one. Read/Write times are not of the utmost importance because its just for file storage. Preferably looking for some type of appliance that can be setup as an iscsi target and/or can integrate with active directory for permissions for shares and utilizes hardware raid. If anyone has any good recommendations, that would be great!

Re: Need NAS device suggestions

I am privately using a Synology DS409 (4x1,5TB in RAID5).
    ADS support is present but I am not using this.

Main use is to share and stream audio and video files.
    I use 1 small iSCSI target which is working ok.

Maybe this link can be usefull:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/n...hmarks,87.html
    MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
    A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

If you need an iSCSI SAN, why are you asking for a NAS in the title?
      I am using an HP MSA2012i, with 4TB data (2.5TB SATA + 1.5TB SAS). One of the advantages is that you can mix both SAS and SATA disks in the same drawer. It has two controllers (the redundant one is optional). Licenses for Snapshots and Cloning are available. My model is EOL, but the new generation looks even better.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

If you want simple iSCSI targets, take a look at the DroboPro and DroboElite. You could also just get a storage server like the HP DL 185, stack it with SATA drives and put Windows Storage Server on it. Or OpenFiler? FreeNAS? Possibilities are endless.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I know the post say SAN but the title says NAS and my post count needs a boost.

FreeNAS
          http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...04%2C0%2C2%2C2
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            I know the post say SAN but the title says NAS and my post count needs a boost.

FreeNAS
            http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...04%2C0%2C2%2C2

The post says "SAN" because I was illustrating the fact that our SAN has no room for the storage we need and we cannot afford to expand it. That's why I am looking for a cheaper alternative (ie: NAS). I like the ability to set it as an iSCSI target as I can set the drives up on the computers that are attached to the scanners.

Anyhow, thanks for the links. I think we are going to go with the rackmounted Synology RS409.

Comment

Originally posted by kynov View Post
              Anyhow, thanks for the links. I think we are going to go with the rackmounted Synology RS409.
              Okay, good luck with it. It should be fast enough for file sharing.
              MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
              A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

I like the ability to set it as an iSCSI target as I can set the drives up on the computers that are attached to the scanners.
                I think you're mixing up things here...
                SAN = a device containing hard disks. Hosts (servers, plain computers) connect to it through one of the storage protocols (FibreChannel, iSCSI and now even the newest FCoE). The host see the disks (chunks=volumes that are allocated to that specific host) as they were attached to it physically. The data is accessed at the block-level.
                NAS = just a plain file server. It is a device with storage space, that shares folders and thus makes them accessible from the network to everyone (based on permissions, of course). The access is file-based, like any other file server. Being a file server, it uses protocols like CIFS, SMB, NFS (may be combined).
                If you like the iSCSI, then NAS is out of the question ... iSCSI=SAN.

That's why I am looking for a cheaper alternative (ie: NAS).
                "Cheap" is relative. You can have SAN devices that are cheaper than NAS devices.
                The right order of things (as I would do it) is:
                - check the needs (space, protocol, access type, future growth?);
                - check the technology solutions that answer to your needs;
                - check vendors/models;
                - check budget and see that the solution preferred suites the budget;
                - check that the solution preferred suites to the existing infrastructure. If not, take adjustments into consideration;
                - take the decision;
                - purchase and implement.

Good luck!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

No no no... I understand the differences. I was saying the Synology can be setup as an iSCSI target...

http://www.synology.com/us/products/features/iSCSI.php

Check it out. In any event, I guess we found more money because now we are scoping out a NetAPP FAS2020 SAN with 6TB of space.

Comment

QNAP might be interesting too.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      I think you're mixing up things here...
                      SAN = a device containing hard disks. Hosts (servers, plain computers) connect to it through one of the storage protocols (FibreChannel, iSCSI and now even the newest FCoE). The host see the disks (chunks=volumes that are allocated to that specific host) as they were attached to it physically. The data is accessed at the block-level.
                      NAS = just a plain file server. It is a device with storage space, that shares folders and thus makes them accessible from the network to everyone (based on permissions, of course). The access is file-based, like any other file server. Being a file server, it uses protocols like CIFS, SMB, NFS (may be combined).
                      If you like the iSCSI, then NAS is out of the question ... iSCSI=SAN.
                      And then you have the unified storage segment which is blurring the lines of NAS/SAN. Both offerings can be on the same appliance. What to call it then? Hmmm...
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                      -------------------------------
                      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
                        And then you have the unified storage segment which is blurring the lines of NAS/SAN. Both offerings can be on the same appliance. What to call it then? Hmmm...
                        I have encountered two names for such devices:
                        - unified storage, or
                        - multiprotocol storage.
                        But here you are talking about the implementation of the two storage types, the search of the manufacturers to provide a versatile solution, that one machine that can do it all (and thus acquiring a larger audience of potential clients). It does not change the fact that when you decompose that device, it has two sub-components: one that acts as SAN (with all the characteristics described in my previous post) and one acting as NAS (again, like the above).
                        The blurring of the lines you talk about is (IMHO) only for those who do not understand the basic difference between the two. It's like running Windows programs using Wine on a Linux distro or running Linux shell and scripts using CygWin on Windows.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                        X