Dell Inspiron 8600 hard drive swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Inspiron 8600 hard drive swap

The LCD screen failed on my Dell Inspiron 8600. I purchased a used one and put my hard drive and memory into the purchased machine. Prior to the swap both machines connected wireless to the internet. I do not see any reference to wireless in the new set up. When I go to device manager I see a yellow question mark Other Devices and list Networ Controller, PCI Modem, and Video Controller ( VGA Compatible). I went to Dells website entered my service tag and dowloaded drivers for Conexant D480 MDC V.92 Modem, Broadcom 440x 10/100 Intergrated Connection, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 PRO TURBO video, and the recommended wireless driver. I went to add new hardware and could not load the drivers. Any direction you can provide will be appreciated.
    Dell Inspiron 8600 Windows XP Professional Version 2002 service pack 3 Intel Pentium M 1.60 HGz 1 Gb Ram DVD-CDRW,

Re: Dell Inspiron 8600 hard drive swap

Try completely removing the driver and the device entry in Device Manager, reboot and install from scratch.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

you may need a different chipset driver as well.

Best recommendation would be blood's suggestion to reinstall. THat way you know you have all the right drivers
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Download all the drivers from the Dell website and load them all on.

I use this one

http://support.euro.dell.com or http://support.ap.dell.com

Comment

there's also a very specific order in which you need to apply dell drivers too.

It's not point loading the network drivers, if the chipset drivers aren't correct, etc.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Those are some great ideas of which I will try as soon as I get my icons back. I'm rebooting now. Thanks

Comment

Thanks to All That worked I'm connected.

Comment

good to hear buddy

now might be a good time to take a ghost image or something like that..

Comment

Ok one slight probelm when I start up my laptop it loads the back screen than it takes about ten minutes to load the icons. Any suggestions?

Comment

Are all the drivers up to date? Is the BIOS up to date, too?

Once you've checked the first two, you need to use msconfig to examine your startups. Disable anything you don't need. Ask if you are unsure.

[Edit]
                    Also, don't rely on Dell's site for the latest video driver - go to ATI's site and download the latest from there.
                    Last edited by Blood; 11th July 2010, 07:31. Reason: added emphasis

Comment

I have updated the drivers and I installed Driver cure to recheck the drivers. It is calling for Intel 82801DBM Bridge 2448 however it won't install from drivercure and i don;t know enought about it to try it on my own. I did go to ATI however they kept directing me to another driver detector software. How do i check to see it the BIOS is up to date. I saw BIOs on the dell site but was sure I wanted to mess with the BIOS. I have done a msconfig before and that's for the offer to assist with any unsure questions.

Comment

When you switch the machine on it should tell you the BIOS revision. If not, go into the BIOS and find out in there.
                        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Ahh - I see from ATI's site that you should use the Dell drivers for laptops

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...IMobility.aspx

I did not realise this.

With regards to the Intel 82801DBM Bridge 2448 driver, you should be able to see where Driver Cure has downloaded the file. Once you have that you can extract the files from the zip, and manually install the driver either by running the setup.exe file in the root of the extracted folder or, if that does not work there should be a sub-folder named 'other' with a setup file or .inf file. If there is a .inf file you can right-click it and choose install. Please read any 'readme' files that may be present before proceeding.

Comment

Working...
                          X