Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving: New Server Room

Hello all,

So my company is moving because were growing at a great rate and of course i have to take a look at server rooms and wiring. I wanted to know what does everyone consider when looking to move to a new space.

here is what i have in mind:

Cooling
    Server room space
    Cabling from desk and such
    building internet feed/ providers

thanks for your help im pretty sure im missing tons of stuff

Re: Moving: New Server Room

You forgot the most important!
    POWER -- and lots of it
    Batteries / UPS to smooth the aforesaid power

Also room security (doors / locks / monitoring)
    Fire-fighting equipment
    Server racks
    Telephones

What is going in here?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Don't forget expansion for future use which includes extra cooling, space, wiring, etc.
      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Or to have enough cooling to handle Global Warming (TM) over the next few years
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

Comment

floor weight loading.

make sure that your floor is designed to hold the specific load intended for what is a relatively small area.

By this i mean, if you have several racks, holding 5 or 6 servers each, they are spread across 3xracks, with a total floor space of 3x1.5m2 for instance.
          All of a sudden, you're putting all that weight into 1x1.5M2. your floor may not be rated to handle load like that.

make sure you can get your equipment into the server room, ie - how are you going to get the rack in there etc. Which floor of the building is it on.

Can you get separate power runs to the rack? If you've ohnly got one power board for the building, at least try and get two separate circuits.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Keep in mind that power to the racks will be being filtered by the UPS, but yes I agree it should be on a different circuit. I once worked somewhere where the server room was on the same circuit as the lift motor...
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Also when it comes to fire management, make sure you go with a gas based system rather than water.
              MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

There is a thread on this Forum about this question. Use the Advanced Search function and with luck you should find it. It was some 2 to 5 years ago and had lots of suggestions/info.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Keep power and data cabling separated. Pick conventions for data cables such as colour scheme, plug type (for example, on fibre cables, using ST for singlemode and SC for multimode).
                  Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

make a record of exactly what network cable gets plugged into what, at both ends.

keep this updated as you go. ther's nothing worse than a horrible cabled mess.

oh - and make sure that the building fire system does not have a sprinkler head in your server room. (I've seen this.)
                    and that wildlife can't get into the building roof, and then the racks. (also seen this.)

make sure that whoever provides your racks, provides racks relevant to the solution. I did a move for a client, on the assurance that proper 19" racks had been provided. I got to the site, with a truck load of servers, and it turns out a comms company had installed comms 19" racks. there was no way our server gear would fit.

a good quality rack with the RUs written on the uprights helps when fitting kit in.

build it from the bottom up. there's all sorts of ways in which to build a rack, but the most common is to put very heavy stuff (like UPS and disk arrays) at the bottom.
                    Last edited by tehcamel; 10th July 2010, 17:12.
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Good quality racks with good quality vertical PDUs would be nice too.

Wildlife... when I worked in a school we had a squirrel in the ducts. It chewed a cable and the science building dropped off the network. My mother being the head of department, I got stick for that at home *and* at work

Fire suppression needs to be appropriate, but so does air conditioning - make sure you get one that'll keep the humidity at an appropriate level. I once saw a unit that squirted water onto the server rack below it due to a fault...

Cabling documentation is essential, as is having a cabling system and sticking to it. Don't ever be tempted to run a temporary patch, as I guarantee it'll still be in place 5 years later. As for documentation, we'd all love to run PatchSee throughout, but it's a little pricey...
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Maybe something else:
                        Depends on which floor you serverroom is, but when you are in the basement, make sure your servers are in the patch cabinet or at least not standing on the floor.
                        In case of flood.

Also make sure the door is made air tight. This way no dust can come in.
                        A seprate power circuit for the serverroom is a very good idea.
                        I once had the same circuit as the airco system for the whole company. Since that system went of a lot of times...

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                          Good quality racks with good quality vertical PDUs would be nice too.
                          Absolutely essential. I've found in the past that APC racks are too shallow to allow the back door to close on Dell servers, even the newer R series servers that have much better cable management. We're doing a project at the moment and bought a Dell rack and PDUs along with the servers (all Dell as well) and not only did we get a nice discount everything fits.

Even if your server room is secure I like the racks to be secure as well. Call me paranoid.....
                          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                          sigpic
                          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Racks have doors? I thought the glass was just something to add to the three metal panels leaning against the wall
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                              Absolutely essential. I've found in the past that APC racks are too shallow to allow the back door to close on Dell servers, even the newer R series servers that have much better cable management. We're doing a project at the moment and bought a Dell rack and PDUs along with the servers (all Dell as well) and not only did we get a nice discount everything fits.

Even if your server room is secure I like the racks to be secure as well. Call me paranoid.....
                              dell wouldn't discount our rack when we were doing an $AUD60K plus project, as partners.

Best they could do was about 1900 if I recall.
                              We got a brand new, non-branded one, that suited the task perfectly, for $900.

Comment

Working...
                              X