Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Chore List

Hello All,

So I wanted to know what other IT professionals have on their IT chore list IE:

Wire Management (Including Server room and desktops)
    Inventory/ Asset management
    Updating Images
    Updating Global Address list groups and contact information

You know the things no one really notices but its just good to get done.

thanks for your input

Re: IT Chore List

I'm personally against "images" per se. I'd much rather use sometihng like WDS to deploy the OS and then ues something like SCCM to deploy applications. Only one image, next to know modification required. When a service pack comes out I'll probably update the image with it to reduce the delay before new workstations are up to date, plus it also reduces network traffic for Windows Updates.

Everything in IT is behind the scenes short of new OS, new computer or new monitor. This is why management may often question why we spend so much on servers and infrastructure.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I'm going to share your pain when it comes to wires. If only was another world without them (Nothing personal Wired -the admin ).
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Cover a wall with the cheapest Belkin and Edimax access points you can, and whack the cheapest USB Belkin and Edimax wireless dongles into every server and desktop.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Cover a wall with the cheapest Belkin and Edimax access points you can, and whack the cheapest USB Belkin and Edimax wireless dongles into every server and desktop.
          Unfortunatly PoW (Power over wifi) still hasn't materialised despite the idea (Not quite exactly) being around since the 1800 and the 30 year lasting batteries without needing recharge are currently just a media sensation.

I could probably opt for the energy being generated by the users themselves with the wind up mechanisms.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

What about PoCarrierPigeon? When you've written out the packet and rolled it up, you just roll up a battery inside it too
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
              I'd rather go back to BNC connectors and a token ring backbone than have any Belkin kit in my network.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

And I'd rather be rogered with a vampire connector than touch Edimax
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Back ON topic:

Regular (ideally daily) server checks for:
                  Free disk space (and change from last check)
                  defrag status and defrag if needed
                  Chkdsk then fix errors if needed
                  Recycle bins
                  AV updates and scan results
                  Backup status (and occasional restore checks)
                  Clock skew vs PDC emulator
                  Archive / analyse logs & track down error/warning messages
                  WSUS update approval and installation
                  Scheduled reboots
                  DNS / WINS replication
                  DHCP free leases
                  AD replication
                  BPA runs where possible....
                  MBSA runs

And then you can start on Exchange and SQL server boxes....
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ossian has pretty much hit the list we had on the head.

don't forget reviewing event logs.
                    keeping documentation up to date
                    change logs
                    reviewing patches
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Guys thanks for the advice and list. I just started out in a new office that had no IT previously but all the servers are located off site at our UK office. So this office im working at is simple with thin clients and laptops. I just wanted to be productive instead of just sitting around waiting for things to break.

Comment

I can speak in terms of our IT - we are spread so thin its unbelievable! 6 Support technicians and 6 Network Technicians for 3500 clients on 50 sites.
                        ---
                        Myself - i look at
                        Wiring issues and cable management
                        PC Problems
                        Software Problems
                        Comms Problems
                        Image creation and maintenance
                        Remote support maintenance
                        Asset Maintenance
                        backing up helpdesk
                        Software deployment
                        Group Policy Mangement
                        Reporting
                        Antivirus

The list goes on and on and on. Kinda upsetting when you have to put it all down in a list!

Dave H

Comment

If it's a company you are working for 100% of the time, get them to invest in a SNMP/WMI monitoring solution that pro-active monitors all of your network and give you an alert when any of the agreed conditions are breached. Even put together some workflow packages to auto fix your problems.

This includes disk space, cpu usage, memory usage, event logs, switch interface usage, WAN interface usage, Exchange queues etc etc etc

I have implemented What's up Gold a few times, nice and simple, but there are lots of other ones such as Kaseya and Paessler which are a little more difficult to configure.

Short term pain, long term gain.

This frees up your time to do more productive things like browse forums on the net
                          Steven Roberts
                          IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                            I'm going to share your pain when it comes to wires. If only was another world without them (Nothing personal Wired -the admin ).
                            Bite me

Making new WDS images
                            Validating WSUS updates

Don't forget the all mighty DOCUMENTATION UPDATES...
                            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                            X