X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd XP-workstation LAN-performance slowdowns/lockups

ahoy peers

I've got a strange problem.
    LAN is a standard 10/100 mbit ethernet, 12 workstations (10 winXPpro+SP2, 2 win2000+SP4) and one win2003 SBS on a dual Intel XEON box. workstations are a mix of several DELL model computers, all bought within the last year over the course of ~6 months.

This is how topology looks like:

Telco T1/NAT/DHCP-switchbox/gateway ---> Internet/Phonelines
    |
    |----- win2003 SBS
    |
    |----- XEROX Document Centre 550
    |
    |----- Oki Color Laser
    |
    |----- Workstation 1
    |----- Workstation 2
    |----- Workstation 3
    |----- Workstation 4
    |----- Workstation {5-12}

Every machine runs KASPERSKY A/V w. AD-AWARE/SPYBOT S&D. Kaspersky is set to max scan/security settings w. online-updating/-checks every hour! except for certain VB-commands, since an old access2000 database is used, that requires some quick-n-dirty hacked-together, batch-like DOS/CLI commands in terms of file-deletion/overwriting (which Kaspersky usually blocks).

Internet connectivity is provided by our Telco, since its two T1's, mainly for the 30+ phonelines (marketing-research) and only a fraction of it is used for (not-so-highspeed; ~30KB/s downstream) broadband internet.

The gateway (owned by the Telco) provides for DHCP and NAT, which is NOT visible from the outside. the Win2003 SBS is NOT "inbetween" the internet and the LAN, its merely "on-the-side" connected...so technically every user has full/free access to the internet.

Now to the problem:
    in certain times, which are partially random and partially you can set your watch to them, a workstation gets extremely laggy when the user wants to access the network, i.e. email file-attachments or opening files.

One workstation has it it everytime at 5pm, another has it at 12pm, a couple are random in times.

EVERY systems has been throughly scanned/searched for any type of malicious software, w. negative results other than the usual occasional spyware from Weatherbug and stuff. But nothing serious. Server is 100% clean.

server-CPU utilisation is in average 5-10%; max. was 30% when it happens.

i DID ran ETHEREAL on the server (i dont dare to run it on every workstation for 2-3 days, management would kill me )

turns out there was some sort of "lan-storm" from one machine to the server:
    Read/Write AndX requests and responses w. a lot of packet CRC-errors from/to the MDSS marketing database access2000-file. Which looks like a LAN cabling/connectivity problem. But the responsible machine had been replaced/upgraded meanwhile.

Only idea that's left that could cause it would be some major issues w. the (one single, "dumb" router only) router that feeds everything or that the ethernet-cabling is failing - but the "being-on-time" LAN-lagging dosent make sense, if that'd be the case.

in short, it takes 2+ minutes (even if its just 50-100KBytes) to open a LAN-based file or attach it as an email, instead of just a couple secs. LOCALLY the workstations performance is not affected at all w. opening/processing files/tasks.

I'd love to 'kill' the Telco's DHCP/NAT gateway and setup my own, since its aged, and i've the impression that the DHCP/NAT telco box is part of the troubles/cause, since the whole upgrades from NT4 server to win2k3 SBS/XPpro LAN the XEROX DOCUMENT CENTER 550's NIC/LAN-print-spooler can take up to 1-2 hours to initialize - which wasnt the case before the upgrades.

But since the Telco's NAT/DHCP/T1-switchbox is "unservicable" from my stand-point, i'm a bit afraid to mess with it, since the phone-lines of the T1's, are the most critical part of my client from 7am to 11pm.

anyone got an idea ?

thx-a-thon in advanced

cheers
    @

Re: odd XP-workstation LAN-performance slowdowns/lockups

mostly DNS causes those problems..

in most cases, the clients should point to DNS server from you're (SBS) server.

so who's managing the Telco router? and already ask to set those things right in the Router?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

you mean the DNS thats behind the telco gateway ? (there is no LAN-internal DNS) and AFAIK the clients are pointing to the DNS server to which also the SBS-server points to (auto-config'd/-assigned via DHCP). Which is the ISP's DNS if i'm not mistaken.

Or do you mean to set up the win2003 SBS by itself up as its own DNS server?

The telco-router is managed by the telco (phone company) of course . They do that remotely. Supposedly. Not the first time we've problems with them.

cheers
      @
      Last edited by atlana; 15th September 2005, 06:38.

Comment

if its a SBS its also a DC, which has DNS needed.
        Also he need a Static IP address (from my memories)
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

i agree, as a domain-controller you need a static IP, but it has not any other that the usual internal 192.168.x.x type, since the actual 'internet' static IP is 'taken' by the telco's internet-gateway/NAT/DHCP box.

So, in my understanding it is not a domain-controller in the usual sense. It does some "domain-controlling" though, but the way i understand it win2003 SBS has a way to do "Domain-controlling" but NOT needing a static IP, something like "companyweb.internal"

@

Comment

for internal use you do not need a public address..

sorry, but now i'm lost..

setup something like the following..

SBS
            *DC (AD etcetc)
            *Internal DNS with forwarders to you're ISP DNS

Let you're clients look at you're Internal DNS (you're sbs server)
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands

Comment

LOL now i'm lost too can you explain it a bit more indepth/detail how you mean that?

sorry for my "blonde-ness"

@

Comment

hahah it's no problem...

have a start over here:
                http://petri.com/dns.htm

what you exually should do if you started from scratch for example.

Install SBS.
                configure DNS (including forwarders to the you're ISP dns servers) and all other stuff you wanted.

Install clients.
                Set the DNS properties from the client to you're DNS server from you're sbs server

The clients will now resolve any info first internally, and if you're sbsdns server don't know the info, he will go outsite for resolving any info the client requested..

When i can find the time, i can maybe make a tuturial for how setting up dns, but try the things above first.. if you have any questions, let me know..
                Last edited by Dumber; 16th September 2005, 14:40.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                X