No announcement yet.

Best method to stream video to DLNA TV?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method to stream video to DLNA TV?

I have a Samsung Plasma which is DLNA compliant and comes with Samsung software to stream movies over the LAN. I've found that the software is flakey and only supports AVI files so my MKV collection needs to be converted in order to be streamed to the TV.

I've looked at a software solution running on my Win2008 server but I can not get it to transcode MKVs to AVI (TVersity- no one knows why it isn't working). Plus it requires a server with a LOT of CPU power in order to transcode the MKVs to AVI to stream to the TV.

What's the best solution here? I was thinking of purchasing a black-box which reads media from the server and sends it to the TV thru the HDMI connection, but I'm not sure which one has the best user-interface and performance. Remember, it needs to read all media formats for movies (AVI, Xvid, DivX, MKV, WMA, etc).

Can anyone suggest a good "black-box" for this?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Best method to stream video to DLNA TV?

JDM, with 660 posts and 5 years membership, you ought to know to post in the proper forum

Moved to Misc for the moment, but maybe to server later
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hmmmm....I definately remember posting in the "Coffee Lounge and Introduction" section. Now the post has been moved tp "Petri.co.il forums by Daniel Petri > Operating Systems > Misc > Best method to stream video to DLNA TV?".

"Operating Systems > Misc"??? Are you serious!? I just wanted to chat to members regarding Home Media Centres and whether hardware options were the way to go and if other members had experience with these....nothing technical like OS, etc.....

Sorry.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

If it is technical and doesn't fit into any other Forum, it goes into MISC.

Lounge is for:

Originally posted by Lounge
        Socializing, introducing yourself, chit-chat, general non-related and off-topic talk.
        Streaming video is a technically related subject.

As to your problem, Nile, Amazon or Mississippi. They are the 3 biggest "streams" I know of.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Try http://www.tversity.com.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            As to your problem, Nile, Amazon or Mississippi. They are the 3 biggest "streams" I know of.
            And I thought you were joking!! LoL. Does this mean you know nothing of streaming media on a network?
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

The problem may need a bit of clarification. As I read your original post the issue is not with the streaming but with the "on the fly" transcoding of video formats. Is this correct, or are we missing something?

Anyway, given Biggles other interests, I thought he might have brought the jetstream into the discussion somewhere (that WAS a joke, btw)
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

You could use the Windows media player 11 with the Matroska (MKV) decoders from here: http://www.cccp-project.net/
                Or have a look at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV_MediaServers
                Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

The problem is that the TV, although DLNA compliant, only supports a small number of codecs, likewise, my XBox360 only supports WMV for video (?). I need to stream MKV to these devices and thus the introduced topic of transcoding. I have decided to not introduce software to my server as it would consume more resources so I instead purchased an Xtreamer unit from the QLD distributor which is a hardware based media centre able to transcode media from network shares directly to the TV over HDMI. It also streams internet sources like online radio & YouTube, so I am very pleased with the result. thanks for all the help.
                  |
                  +-- JDMils
                  |
                  |

Comment

Dude Mezzmo FTW!!
                    Ok so my Sony bdp-bx7 blue ray player has DLNA on it so i can transfer movies off my computer wirelessly! unfortunately it only allows mpeg2 movie formats
                    And I got tired of trying to find or convert to the right format for my Sony and i have 250gigs of movies on my external hard drive in everything from .avi to flash!
                    So i tried a bunch of commercial DLNA servers that had those fly-by transcoders but none of um worked with my Sony or my computer!!
                    i spent weeks trying everything from "Fuppes" to "Twonky" and none of um were compatible except for "Mezzmo"
                    Actually to tell you the truth even Mezzmo wasn't compatible at first...And the worst part was they said on there new release they supported Sony blue ray players!!
                    so i email them to see what the deal was?!
                    And honestly i really didn't think ide hear anything but 10 minutes later i get a response!

"Hi Brandon,

Can you please try this updated device profile:

You’ll need to:
                    1) Stop your server and close down Mezzmo
                    2) Copy all .prf files from the archive to DeviceProfiles folder (see this thread for its location:
                    3) Start the server and try again

Also, if it doesn’t work, please go to Media Devices dialog in Mezzmo and change your device profile for your BDP to one with “No DivX” in the title. Check if that helps and please let me know how it goes.

Let me know if you need further help.

Best regards

Paul
                    Customer Support
                    Conceiva"

so i install everything and just like that im streaming all my movies through my sony!!
                    after weeks of messing with my blue ray and trying to find a DLNA server that would work on my computer and sony and do fly-by transcoding i finally found it!!
                    HELL YEA!!
                    sorry i just got this working like half an hour ago and still pretty excited
                    anywayz "Mezzmo" is definitely worth trying

Comment

Working...
                    X