Sync 2 NAS, one has DHCP address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sync 2 NAS, one has DHCP address

Hi. I have a task to sync two NAS. One seats in company network and is a main back up storage device. Now our boss bought another one, and want put it in his house. We have static IP address for company from ISP, but network in boss house has dynamic external IP address. So my question is what is the best solution to do this sync once a week?
    Thanks.

Re: Sync 2 NAS, one has DHCP address

How much data is involved, and what network bandwidth do you have at both locations?

One option would be to bring in the Bosses device once a week and manually copy data
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

To fullfill this request in a secure fashion, the NAS at home would have a static IP on the local LAN and the two networks would connect via VPN connection, via the routers. Obviously the home network would have a PC which would initiate the VPN connection thus putting it on the company network. It would then initiate a copy of data from the work NAS to the home NAS using, say, network shares.

Do not transfer company data along a public network without the use of VPN encryption & compression!
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

If the VPN connection is being maintained by a VPN router at each end, then would the VPN connection not be always on, and therefore not require a PC to initiate the connection?
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Not an expert on the setup, but I have been told that with some routers you can trigger the VPN connection from a local workstation.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Fair enough.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

If you do not want to create the VPN from the routers then set it up on the local machine which will be handling the backup.
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              |

Comment

Invest in some decent VPN equipment and do site to site VPN tunnels which are secure and encrypted.

Enable the keep alive option on the tunnels to ensure that they stay up.

What firewall do you have at your main site???

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  How much data is involved, and what network bandwidth do you have at both locations?
                  This is my biggest concern. More than likely your boss will have some type of DSL, Cable connection at home.

If you are pushing several GBs, heck even several MBs, you will drain his pipe and more than likely not complete the copy in a decent amount of time.
                  MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Working...
                  X