Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agora/Joomla Forum Install Issue

Hi,

I'm trying to install a copy of Agora on my Joomla website (Geekanology UK) but I get the following error:
    "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1514263 bytes) in /home/sites/rocksquad.org.uk/public_html/main/libraries/joomla/filesystem/archive/zip.php on line 331"

I looked around the net a bit and found the following:

Why does my PHP script fail with 'Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted'?

PHP has a built-in limit on the amount of memory it will allocate. If that limit is reached, the process will exit with this error message. This is usually the result of the PHP script trying to load a large file, such as an image, into memory all at once. While it is better if you can arrange for the script not to do such things, it is also possible to increase the memory limit some to avoid this problem. To do that, edit the php.ini file with your PHP scripts (create it if it does not exist) and add the following line:
    memory_limit=16M

You should replace the '16' with whatever value is appropriate. The default is 8M (8 megabytes, the 8388608 bytes from the error message).

My problem is that my current site doesn't seem to have a php.ini (it has some ini.php's but not phip.ini) so I have no real idea where to create the new php.ini or which file (if somewhere else is more appropriate) to edit.

Help?

Kyu
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Agora/Joomla Forum Install Issue

Have you thought about asking this question on the Joomla Forums? http://forum.joomla.org/
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have some limited experience with Joomla. However, have you seen this? It should be located where the Joomla installation expects to see it. I think that's typically in the Joomla root folder. You might consider the book Beginning Joomla! I have it in my Safari Bookshelf and it's helping me to handle a recent job with Joomla.

Nothing says "fun" quite like a self-taught crash course in PHP.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Have you thought about asking this question on the Joomla Forums? http://forum.joomla.org/

No because it moves too fast (posts seem to scroll off the bottom before I can count to 10) but I did post it in the Agora forum. One person there reckons I will need to contact my web host.

Kyu

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
          I have some limited experience with Joomla. However, have you seen this? It should be located where the Joomla installation expects to see it. I think that's typically in the Joomla root folder. You might consider the book Beginning Joomla! I have it in my Safari Bookshelf and it's helping me to handle a recent job with Joomla.

Nothing says "fun" quite like a self-taught crash course in PHP.
          Thanks for that.

The /etc folder seems like a Linux folder (so the ISP's server), I certainly can't find it on my installation.

It helps though

Kyu

Comment

You should be able to make the PHP.ini file itself on your own just like in many cases you have to make your own htaccess files for new directories. Or is it not allowing you or otherwise not recognizing the newly created file if you place it in the main Joomla folder?
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: Nonapepti[email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Hi,

The problem is now sorted and the forum is now fully working. In the end I never quite got round the memory limit thing but I was able to install by installing (unpacked) from a URL

Kyu

Comment

you can also create your own php.ini file, that will override the global php.ini files.

as I think you already mentioned, speak to your webhost. Even tell them what you're tryingt o install, they may have had someone with the same issue before.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                X