Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install image fro ghost on external hard drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install image fro ghost on external hard drive?

Hi.
    Is there a way that i can creat an image from xp machine with ghost or any other program and then install it on an external hard drive, plug this hard drive on a diffrent p.c and work on it like it was my computer?
    Thanx
    MCP, MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003

Re: How to install image fro ghost on external hard drive?

If the MoBo supports boot from USB you should be able to do this, but I've never tried it
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What i ment was that i want to be able to plug the ext drive to a machine that's running xp and run it from there

Comment

Yes, I understand that -- but the other PC must have a motherboard which supports booting from USB - you wouldnt be able to run it from within an operating system

Your other option would be to install Virtual PC on the other machine and run a VHD which has been made from your current system
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes - if you create a Ghost image, and correctly apply it to a USB harddrive, then you would be able to plug it into your computer.

You then have two options:
          You can boot from the USB device, if the motherboard allows it (as mentioned by ossian)

or
          You can access the usb device, like a normal USB disk. It will not have the right drive letters that it had before, and applications installed on it won't work properly, but you can at least access all the data and files.

Is this what you were asking ?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The virtual sulotion sounds good.
            Thanx

Comment

just be aware, that if you have used Ghost to create the image, you cannot just start it up as a virtual machine - it needs to be correctly encoded as a VHD file.. there's probably a tool around to do that however
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

my client want to use the ghost option with the external hard drive so he can boot from it.how do i applay the image on the external hard drive so it will be bootable?

Comment

In theory you can:
                  Restore the image onto the external drive and mark the partition as active
                  Set another PC to boot from USB -- you will need to go into the BIOS to do this
                  Plug in your external drive
                  Start the PC

You will then hit issues with compatible hardware (MoBo chipset must be the same) and Windows Product Activation as the hardware has changed -- I forgot about both of these in earlier posts.

IMHO Virtualisation would be a far simpler solution -- install Virtual PC on the host and just run your machine from the ExtHD
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Are you wanting to use Ghost or are you using ghost as a generic term? If as a generic term then Acronis may be a better option to use. Was just told about some new features now in the latest release that I need to look at.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Are you wanting to use Ghost or are you using ghost as a generic term?
                      just as a term.
                      i'm open to other suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by Me
                        If as a generic term then Acronis may be a better option to use
                        Already suggested.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X