Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder heirarchy security settings

Good morning/Afternoon,

I've got a project to do some large maintenance work on a data server in one of our offices. To ensure that the data is put back exactly how it was before it'd be very handy if I could have a script/program that collects all the security settings/groups attached to each folder and listed them in a csv/excel format.

Does anyone know if theres a product around that does this? I've had a few searches on google return very little

TIA

Dave

Re: Folder heirarchy security settings

What is this large maintenance work that you have to do? There may be an option you haven't thought of that will make the job easier.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

basically we are upgrading a server on to new hardware (primerily for increased capacity) and upgrading from windows 2000 server to windows server 2003. As part of the change control one of the requirements is that we ensure all file and folder access remains the same.

Comment

You want AccessEnum and ShareEnum from Sysinternals

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897332.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897442.aspx

And, once documented you can use Robocopy to copy the security information across with the files:

Robocopy source destination /e /xo /copy:dats

Don't use /copyall unless you also have auditing rights.

Robocopy is part of the W2k3 Resource Kit Tools and includes comprehensive documentation:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Any reason you are upgrading to an operating system that is now 7 years old? Server 2008 may be a better option at this stage of Server 2003's lifecycle.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If you use a backup solution then you will not only get a backup of the data but of the ACLs as well!
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
            |

Comment

But not a list, which is what the OP required.
              Please read the thread before posting
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tom, I think it is you who needs to re-read the OP's post. Let me explain:
                To ensure that the data is put back exactly how it was before it'd be very handy if I could have a script/program that collects all the security settings/groups attached to each folder and listed them in a csv/excel format.
                The OP wants to write a script to put back the ACLs. He only wants the ACLs listed in CSV so that he can script them back to the filesystem.

By backing up the data including the ACLs, the users achieves data integrity, ACL integrity and process integrity. If a failure occurrs on the OP's server, "To ensure that the data is put back exactly how it was", the OP can simply restore just the data, just the ACLs or both.

Being a Commvault Enterprise Admin, I think I have given the OP a guaranteed, tested and valid response to their original question. Can you concurr?
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
                |

Comment

Actually, no
                  As I understand it the OP wants a way of verifying the permissions have been put back correctly, hence listing them first.
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sounds more like both. Mine's bigger, end of discussion, now let's all play nice. Blood had a good suggestion. The user basically wants to make the new server exactly like the old server (with the obvious exception of a newer OS and better HW) so that the end users don't have any issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X