No announcement yet.

Question about Symantec's GHOST Suite..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Symantec's GHOST Suite..

Is anyone out there using Symantec's Ghost to roll out OSs to PCs? My question is this: After spending way too much time trying to set up a RIS server using Windows 2003 I have decided to try a different way to roll out PC OS's. I want to be able to use Ghost like a Windows RIS server, but I don't quite understand licensing. There licensing is a per user (or PC) license so does that mean that if I buy 50 licenses and roll out XP to 50 PCs that the 51st client will not work? I kinda wish you could just buy the software one time and push out as many clients as needed instaed of using the other stuff bundled in that's not needed(in my situation).

Re: Question about Symantec's GHOST Suite..

The license is per PC, in your example the 51st PC will work and install but you will violating license agreements etc and will need to purchase additional licenses.

Once imaged using ghost there is a "fingerprint" left on the PC which is how Symantec can check to see if it''s been built using ghost.

I used to have RIS setup in conjunction with Ghost, Clients with PXE boot enabled LAN cards would boot up connect to the RIS server and the RIS server would push out the ghost boot disk image which would then launch ghost. From here you can use as ghost as you normally do.

topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Train Signal have a Lab that runs through the use of RIS and Ghost. http://www.trainsignal.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=19

Haven't viewed it yet so I can't make any real comment except to say if it is good as the other 3 Labs I have used it should be quite good.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

We use Ghost Server to roll out our image to client machines.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I have a windows 2000 RIS server setup and after much tweaking and configuring I got it working like a champ. Now I have a 2003 RIS server for XP and it is a pain in the butt!!! I honestly just haven't had the time or energy with everything else going on to get it going so I was looking into other products to help simplify the task.

Comment

Originally posted by topper

I used to have RIS setup in conjunction with Ghost, Clients with PXE boot enabled LAN cards would boot up connect to the RIS server and the RIS server would push out the ghost boot disk image which would then launch ghost. From here you can use as ghost as you normally do.

topper
            Topper, our problem is that we do not get the image to start at all, ghost GUI appers but you only have a:\ and b:\ to choose from. And we cannot seem to make a mapped resource where all the images are stored??

Any idea??

Comment

Working...
            X