explorer doesn't display mp3 properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• explorer doesn't display mp3 properties

Explorer on XP Home stopped displaying lot of mp3 properties. Properties -> Summary -> Advanced used to display things like artist, album, lyrics, bitrate, etc.

Now it only displays title, track number, and comments. All the other properties are gone. The fields are not just empty, they're not there at all.

Nothing wrong with the mp3s themselves. Tested the files on another box and everything displays correctly.

Replaced explorer.exe with the copy from my XP CD. Didn't make a difference.

So I guess there are some missing/corrupt registry keys.

Any idea where to look? I don't want to tweak/customize my system all over again so I'd rather not revert to an old system partition image or use XPs built-in repair tools.

Last edited by 666; 20th August 2005, 23:36.
    make xp behave:

Re: explorer doesn't display mp3 properties

If you change your view to details and right click the name tab, and check the boxes next to the details that you want( album, atrist, etc.), you should get the info you're missing.

Comment

Hi 400ex, thanx for the suggestion, but checking those boxes doesn't fix it.

My registry says:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\audio]
      "TileInfo"="prop:Artist;Album;Duration"
      "InfoTip"="prop:Artist;Album;Year;Track;Duration;T ype;Bitrate;Size"
      "Details"="prop:Name;Size;Type;Artist;Album;Year;T rack;Duration"

but except for name, type, and size, all the columns stay empty.

The properties tab keeps refusing to show the info, and 'Arrange Icons By' from the 'view' menu doesn't work for all those entries that explorer can't find (even though they are there; verified by copying the files to another computer).

Does explorer need any other registry keys to dig out the required info?
      make xp behave:

Comment

"Details"="prop:Name;Size;Type;Artist;Album;Year;T rack;Durati on"

i see that there is a space in the word duration;is it like that in your registry?
        I have the same registry keys, except the word duration dosen't have a space in it.

Comment

Hi 400ex,

The spaces in "Du ration" and "Type;Bitrate ;Size" are just a copy/paste glitch.

The registry entries are spaceless.
          make xp behave:

Comment

Solved the problem! I unregistered shmedia.dll to get rid of movie preview thumbnails in explorer, and this also took my mp3 tags down. Now that shmedia.dll is back in business, the mp3 tags are alive and kicking again.

But the old problem was instantly replaced by a new one: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?p=17623 .
            make xp behave:

Comment

Well done on solving your initial problem and thanks for posting the solution back here. It is appreciated.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X