Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE8 Page connot be found

Hi,

We've 2 Servers (win2003) and about 50 clients. We're randomly getting the following issue on some of our pcs.

IE8 will just not work, i keep getting "page cannot be displayed messages". These PCs have only been reinstalled about 2 months ago so should still be fairly clean. I've tried running without addons. Removing Symantec AV. Repairing the network connection. I just dont understand whats causing it on some pcs and not others. Logins are working fine. Mapped drives, GPOs etc so im fairly certain it isnt a networking issue. I've done a diag test with IE8;

Code:
    Last diagnostic run time: 01/12/10 15:11:37 
    Network Adapter Diagnostic 
    Network location detection 
    info
    Connecting through work or corporate network
    info
    Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic 
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity 
    warn
    HTTP: Error 12152 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response 
    warn
    HTTPS: Error 12152 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response 
    warn
    FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    warn
    HTTPS: Error 12152 connecting to www.passport.net: The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response 
    warn
    HTTP: Error 12152 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server returned an invalid or unrecognized response 
    warn
    FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established 
    error
    Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error
    Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error
    Could not make an FTP connection.
    Event viewer looks pretty clean. I dont know where else to look. Any ideas?

thanks,
    Nathan

Re: IE8 Page connot be found

While you're experiencing the issue (assuming you've got a DHCP lease or correctly configured static address?) do you still have ping connectivity? Try pinging the IP of your default gateway by IP, if that works try pinging something external by IP. If this works try pinging by domain name to see if it's a DNS issue.

Also try it in Safe Mode, see if it works then. I've had that a few times, at least then you know it's some kind of software issue.

Lastly, does it make a difference if you login using a different account?

Comment

Firstly, thanks for your reply.

The DHCP lease looks fine, i can ping our default gateway, our server and our server name gets resolved correctly.

I've pinged external sites like google etc. It resolved the name to a ip, but i didnt get a reply. I guess ping response would be disabled?

If i log on with a different user it works fine. I've just been told by our ICT coordinator that this seems to be affecting certains users on most pcs.

this really has me stumped!

Comment

Got any Firewalls running?
        Got a Proxy Server running?
        Check IE Connections, LAN Settings for an incorrect proxy setting.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X