Tracing cable runs without service disruption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing cable runs without service disruption

We want to determine the path of all our cable runs from the PC through the patch panel to the switch without disrupting network service. What is available to do that? We use non-managed switches.

Re: Tracing cable runs without service disruption

without unmanaged switches, if your cables arew in teh wall, I can't really think of a way to do this.

there MAY be some sort of cable tester you can just clamp to the wire, rather than needing to connect it.
    however, the best way would be on a weekend, or early morning, have two people, and just drop the link, wait for it to change the link status light on the switch and make a note
    yell to each other while you do it..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

http://www.phonegeeks.com/tongenprob.html

Suggest you get a professional to do this.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

AFAIK, this cannot be done without unplugging the cable.
        XEN Based VPS
        www.cloudvps.co.il

Comment

Maybe visually follow the cables..
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

That's what I thought too...
            Use your eyes and follow the cables....
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              without unmanaged switches, if your cables arew in teh wall, I can't really think of a way to do this.

there MAY be some sort of cable tester you can just clamp to the wire, rather than needing to connect it.
              however, the best way would be on a weekend, or early morning, have two people, and just drop the link, wait for it to change the link status light on the switch and make a note
              yell to each other while you do it..
              I have been told there is a test kit that uses a signal injector to inject a signal in to pins 7 & 8 at the patch panel. The other part of the kit is held next to the cable and it beeps when you find the right cable. I haven't been able to find out the name of the test kit yet. Does anyone know of such a test kit?

Comment

Originally posted by brunanfm View Post
                I have been told there is a test kit that uses a signal injector to inject a signal in to pins 7 & 8 at the patch panel. The other part of the kit is held next to the cable and it beeps when you find the right cable. I haven't been able to find out the name of the test kit yet. Does anyone know of such a test kit?
                Well, yes. It's called a tone generator as referenced by biggles. You have to unplug the network cable from one end (wall or switch end) plug the tone generator in, turn it on, and use the companion probe to find the port\cable on the other end that the tone is coming through on. I've never heard of a tool that allows you to do it while the network cable is plugged in on both ends.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  Well, yes. It's called a tone generator as referenced by biggles. You have to unplug the network cable from one end (wall or switch end) plug the tone generator in, turn it on, and use the companion probe to find the port\cable on the other end that the tone is coming through on. I've never heard of a tool that allows you to do it while the network cable is plugged in on both ends.
                  No, I don't believe it is a tone generator is the traditional sense.

Comment

It's possible, but signal bleed will just piss you off. Tone the cables the old fashioned way after hours. It's a pain, but worth it.
                    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X