Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAN Messaging software

Hi, folks

Anyone know of some reliable LAN messaging freeware?

Been using RealPopUp. Although it is very good, it does not have a network refresh function. So, I can log on to my PC, start RealPopUp, but if I log onto another PC and use it then log off, responses go to the second PC. The only way to get it to route messages back to my PC is to restart it.

So, I'm looking for something that has a similar functionality:

Popup/Balloon on new message
    Search for users/computers to send a message to
    Set Away/Busy/Do Not Disturb status

Works with XP/Vista and optionally Win7 too.

Thanks!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: LAN Messaging software

Office Communicator springs to mind..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

SPARK is good -- free, easy to set up and lots of addins including a logging facility
      http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/spark/index.jsp
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

@Tehcamel: But it is not freeware and is only available if you are using Microsoft Office 2007 or an installation of Office Communications Server. Contacts are based on MS Outlook Calendars which in turn are only available through an Exchange installation.

Unfortunately, we don't use any of these.

I am looking for something that can be used across the LAN. I don't need VoIP, video conferencing etc. I am searching for a simple messaging program. Similar to the much revered WinPopup.

Thanks anyway.

@Ossian: Thanks - I will check that out.

Comment

blood - no problems buddy - you didn't specify any of those requirements..

i remember seeing a thread about this on another forum - that's currently offline though so i can't go look at those answers for you that was for a school..

jabber or gaim, i think, was a suggestion. that may require a jabber server though.
          we use msn messenger internally ourselves.
          Last edited by tehcamel; 2nd December 2009, 10:43.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks

I had considered this but I don't want to use MSN Messenger as my users are not very PC literate. I am looking for something that does not require an account to be setup - it needs to be easy. I use Windows Live Messenger at home - although I use it (and others), most of the staff are not familiar with this type of technology and use their computers purely for work.

Winpopup and RealPopUp present an easy to use interface - type your message, type the name of the person or computer you are sending the message to (or choose the recipient from a list), hit the send button - done. No set up, no registration, no configuration.

A similar program that is more inteliigent would be great. I am looking into Spark and Openfire as suggested above. So long as the interface that is presented to users is user-friendly I don't mind what we use.

Comment

You can also have a look at Miranda IM. It comes up with a portable format as well and is very customisable and light on resources. You could also add an Winpopup plugin.

Or Pidgin which is also portable and less complicated.

Ta
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks, folks.

Anyone know of a messaging client that works 'out-of-the-box'? No login required, automatically detects other installations on the LAN and can communicate with them?

MSN Messenger et al., Spark, Miranda and Pidgin all require accounts.

Comment

We use Pidgin via Jabber protocol. The Jabber server integrates well with Windows Domain and can see all the users inside your LAN. Also authentication is via AD.
                  XEN Based VPS
                  www.cloudvps.co.il

Comment

Working...
                  X