No announcement yet.

Migrating to VM: sbs2003 and Ts2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating to VM: sbs2003 and Ts2003

I'm planning on moving two server from physical to a virtual enviroment (esx 3.5) and then migrate the domain\Server-A to a win2008 SBS premium server os.
    Sbs2008 Premium since i want to downgrade the additional 2008std os to a 2003R2 to host a blackberry professional\enterprise server:

The network is about 25\30 users with a 20 thin clients computer connecting to the server-b terminal server.
    All the remaining clients are desktop and laptops.
    Server-A :
    Roles: Dc - File&Printer server - Dns\Dhcp - BackupExec server - TS licensing role - Vmware server ( hosting a legacy NT4 machine with oracle db on it ).

Cpu: 2x1,8Ghz
    Ram: 2Gb
    Total amount of used disk: 180 GB ( exchange DB + users data )
    Roles: Terminal Server ( for 20\25 users ) with per-user license

Cpu: 2x1,8Ghz
    Ram: 2Gb
    Total amount of used disk: 50 GB
    I'have some questions:

1. Sbs 2008 premium, it starts with only 5 cal,right ?

2. In the sbs2003 server licensing applet, i can see the addictional CAL added some times ago, but i dont know if those CAL affects the terminal server per user licensing access.
    I see in the TS server licensing console that the license are hosted on the Server-A.

Now, since the TS will be only migrated to a Vm and leaved untouched ( will not be upgraded to win2008 ), i would like to move the TS licenses only from server-a to server-b, so the TS will use himself as TS licensing server.

3. since i'm moving a bit of data ( around 250Gb and the esx are remote ), it's suggested ( for time and space used) to use the vmware converter converting the two server to a file on a local usb drive\network drive, and then moving those VM files to the datastore of the esx server.
    Or, imaging the Vm's with a 3rd party supported tool ( trueimage \ ghost ) and then converting and importing to the esx ?

Thanks In Advance.