Windows Xp deployment on new computers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Xp deployment on new computers

I have given a task of installation of Windows Xp professional on 180 new computers in 4 computer labs. The computers dont have CD drive that can be used to install the OS one by one basis. The only option left is i need to set one computer on which either Windows server 2003 or 2008 shall be installed and than i will dump the Windows XP OS image or CD contents on the hard drive of it and than all the computers shall access that shared folder on the server while on first boot and than installation shall be performed.
    Now i need help how i can do this , which kind of software i need , which kind of license i need, what is the procedure i should follow and what settings i need to perform on each client machine and on server so that the operating system will be installed. Please note every client machine is new and no OS is installed before .Even all harddisks needs to be formated first.

Later on perhaps after one month , all machines shall be upgraded to Windows Vista with SP1. Please also advice what needs to be done than.

Re: Windows Xp deployment on new computers

What you need to research and implement is WDS - Windows Deployment Services.

In Windows 2003 family, it's called ADS - Automated Deployment Services.

You can do 'multicasting' - which means instead of streaming an image to individual computers and using all the network bandwidth, it will send the same image to multiple computers with much lower utilisation
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes agree, WDS is a good way of doing it.

Also note that WDS and ADS are two different unrelated products (well, appart from the task they accomplish)
      You can use WDS with windows 2003 as well (sp2 i think it is).
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Post SP2 WDS replaced RIS (Remote Installation Services) in Server 2003, however you must have had RIS installed as a role for the upgrade to RIS to work. WDS is included in R2.

The technet guide is a good place to start.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

thank you for pointing our my incorrectnes..
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X