Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMS by only using an available DSL connection

Hi,

I am having trouble to find a solution for the following.

Old situation
    Hardware device connected to an analogue phone line, could send SMS messages when a error occured.

New situation
    Hardware device is connected to an ADSL connection and thats it.
    I want to send SMS messages to mobile phones, but the costs of this should be for the customer.

There are solutions to get a subscription for some kind of service, but the customers are large companies and hard to convince to take a subscription.

So i am looking for some kind of solution wich will let me setup the hardware device to send a SMS by using the ADSL connection.

The device could also send an e-mail and i already temporarily made a VB script wich receives that e-mail and convert it to a spefic header etc and send it to an SMS service. But i need to buy points to send the SMS.

Therefor i need to send an invoice to those customers for some dollars.
    This is NOT a solution.

Because the hardware device is deliverd and configured and the rest is the responsibility of the customer.

Any ideas?

Re: SMS by only using an available DSL connection

You could install a GSM Modem, but there will still be the costs of network charges for it. Most networks charge a fairly minimal amount for line rental with some free SMS bundled though.

I don't know of any way other than a subscription service or a GSM Modem to send SMS.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

To put an additional device is not a problem.
      But a subscription is. Because the companies are so large and tough to find the right person, to get them to buy a subscription for a mobile phone.

I hoped there was some way to send it to a service, but charge the receiver for the message.

On the other hand, if this is or was possible, it could be used for abusing the point of sending messages to different persons.

Comment

Given that the PSTN, which is your connection to the internet, and the GSM network, which connects the mobiles, are discrete networks I don't think there is any free solution. I might be wrong though, it would hardly be a first.

I had a customer with a similar issue where they wanted SMS alerts for the DBAs in case of any failures. In the end it turned out to be cheaper and much simpler for them to upgrade their phone packages and use email alerting, with the added bonus that they get all their email on the go now. However this was something they already wanted, it just pushed the timescale up a bit.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

There are a number of SMS gateway products available but unfortunately it looks like most if not all of them require a subscription.

Alternately, every mobile phone has an email address so why not just send an email?

Comment

perhaps this will be of help

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-.../gateway-list/

Comment

Working...
            X