Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Patching & UNMANAGED Switch

Hi people

I am going to deploy a New IT infrastruction on our current office and when it comes to cables I am not good at it. So I was wondering if any one of you could shed some light on the best cable type to deploy on a new office and which type of switch is best for Patch cables UNMANAGED or Managed.

Cat 6 with UNMANAGED Gigabit Switches for Patch Panel is my option but i would love to hear your options.

Thank you

Romi

Re: Cable Patching & UNMANAGED Switch

Well it really depends on the company's requirements, but...

I'd usually put solid-core Cat 6/6a in the walls between the patch panel and face plates. Then stranded Cat 6/6a (PatchSee if you want it to glow pretty colours and have too much money to spend) between the patch panel and the switch - I'd suggest buying ready made patch leads rather than making them as there's not a huge cost difference and it saves SO much time.

The cable in the walls should be picked carefully - some brands make very dodgy "Cat 6". Make sure it's rated for installation in the wall (sometimes referred to as plenum) and for futureproofing I'd be inclined to pick cable rated for PoE as well. Haggle with your dealer and there shouldn't be any price difference.

Also briefly consider what colour cable to order - grey may be a little cheaper, but if not it's useful to be able to see at a glance "that's grey - must be mains, that's red - must be data" etc.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thank you very much gforceindustries the information you have privoded is very helpful.

what do you think which is a good and future proof implementation Managed or UNmanaged gigabit switches to go with the patch panels

Comment

Managed is preferable if you can justify the spend. While some managed switches are dirt cheap these days, there's a reason for that...

Again, it comes down to your company's requirements, the environment the LAN is being put into and the budget.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

While I agree with gforce regarding getting a managed switch if you can afford it, I would recommend installing CAT5E cable as opposed to CAT6/6A. The only reason to install CAT6/6A is if you plan to implement 10GB ethernet, which is doubtful. Even when 10GB ethernet becomes more widespread, which is likely to be several more years, there's nothing to say that 1GB ethernet won't still fill your needs. I can't justify the increased cost of CAT6/6A cable based on the fact that you don't need what it brings to the table. You'll find that installing CAT5E will be hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars less than installing CAT6/6A.

Comment

I've seen more than one place selling "Cat 6" cable that is nothing of the sort too, and charging a premium price for it. I've even seen one place advertising shielded Cat 6 cable, which does not exist according to the specification.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Depends on your suppliers - there's no price difference when I buy cable. And since Cat 6 has tighter standards on crosstalk etc...

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              I've even seen one place advertising shielded Cat 6 cable, which does not exist according to the specification.
              They tell people to wrap their tinfoil hats around their patch leads
              Gareth Howells

Comment

While your running the cable you may wish to consider running more than one to each location.

I always run 2 cables to each location 1 for voice(I always assume IP phones these days) and 1 for data (off course they can be used for whatever) but I have found that management always seems to like to pack another person or device in a place where not originally intended and this save me running more cable.

Color coding: there is no set standard.... I use blue for voice, green for lan, yellow for DMZ and Red for anything leading to the internet

I agree also with cat 5e in the walls is fine, but if you are future proofing spend the extra on cat 6 and your set.

Managed switches: Well I prefer cisco, but I have also deployed 3Com's which I find a pain.

Comment

No budget has been mentioned so there is the ultimate Future Proofing. Fibre to the Desktop!!
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    No budget has been mentioned so there is the ultimate Future Proofing. Fibre to the Desktop!!
                    What's the timescale? A 100 gigabit standard might be ratified soon
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                      Depends on your suppliers - there's no price difference when I buy cable.
                      Who's your supplier?! Do they have warehouses in the US?
                      Originally posted by RoMi View Post
                      and which type of switch is best for Patch cables UNMANAGED or Managed.
                      Managed switches will save your time, your neck and possibly your job in the short and long terms. You have the ability to track down errors, bandwidth problems, security issues and create boundaries and limits that make the environment work better and safer. I prefer HP's ProCurve equipment because of their price and the lifetime support/warranty. If a port dies on a 2824, you just call HP up and they send you a new one. If you have trouble tracking down why your uplink ports are constantly pegged, just call ProCurve support and they help you out. It's almost ridiculous the level of support you get without even having to buy a contract. Amazing. If you need gigabit, the 2810 series would be great. If you want modular chassis then you have plenty of options available.

One important variable in this discussion is: How many users are in this office? How many devices?
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                      -------------------------------
                      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Thank you every one for all your tips and thoughts

The office was for around 125 users in two building, recessions hit my firm really hard so from 125 it will between 40 to 70 users .

I have a good budget ratio for this project. But I will only be looking into gigabit solutions.

Fibre to the Desktop - biggles77 - My firm will kick my butt and will tell me to stay home if I spend money on things which we dont need.

Nonapeptide - Thank you for your kind information about switches - its good to know that HP provides free support to its customers that is what I am looking for because we currently have Netgear and Dell switches and we have to buy support contracts for the switches which I think is paying them for nothing. (So I never buy these kind of contracts).

1badco3 - your idea is solid - Thats what my plan is because we have faced a lot of problems in past for having data and voice traffic on the same line.

joeqwerty and cruachan - Thank you for your kind information on CAT6 - I will check the price difference if its not much than I will probably go for CAT 6 otherwise I will install CAT5e and Managed switches as all of you suggested

Thank you once again guys

Comment

Working...
                        X