CCTV over internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCTV over internet

hello, we have cctv setup at home it has an ethernet port and connected to the router - i dont know why its connected to the internet because i didnt setit up and the bloke just left us to learn how to use it! - could it be for time/software updates?

i was wondering could i put the cctv feed onto a website ?0- it couldnt be flash because it would be acessed over a iphone either on wifi or cellular network

Is this possible?

Re: CCTV over internet

With the details provided, we can't possibly tell you.

It has an RJ-45 port. That port has several different "standard" uses. If it's been connected to your router then that suggests that yes, it is an Ethernet port - but don't start making assumptions without confirming them.

Look up the documentation for your cameras / PVR and you'll find your answer.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

A few inexpensive webcams and few feet of plenum cable could also do this. They make infrared cameras and lights pretty inexpensive too. I shudder to think what you payed for a CCTV system. If you paid for support you certainly didn't get your money's worth.

What make and model of camera are they? In general, what type of system is it? Swann? GeoVision?
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      -------------------------------
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

A word of warning about plenum cable - test it to see how it performs. We've had some before which claimed to be plenum-rated, but it caught fire worryingly easily and burnt pretty quickly.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hopefully it's a home security system and not a CCTV.

What's connected to the router exactly, the camera and/or the video storage device?

Often times they're connected to the internet so that you can check them out when you're on vacation, etc.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Depends on the DVR really. Many DVRs these days have a web interface (although most I know require Internet Explorer Active-X).

So check the IP address of the DVR and try to access it with your web browser.

If that works, you can forward port 80 on your modem to your DVR ip address and then access the DVR over Internet with your IP address.

To check your IP address visit URL REMOVED BY MOD
            Last edited by Ossian; 25th September 2009, 18:34. Reason: Forum Rules

Comment

If you need to find out your public IP address, stick something like "my ip address" into Google - there's a decent number of sites out there that will tell you your IP.

Originally posted by Google
              Results 1 - 10 of about 43,500,000 for my ip address
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
              X