Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer hangs during boot and I need to retrieve my data.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer hangs during boot and I need to retrieve my data.

Great, I'm having the same problem as of today. I had my computer on last night, and It must have done an auto update, because when I went to it, I had to power it on and it immediately went to the windows sign in screen, i entered my info and froze. So I shut it down manually.

Now when it turns on I get this Detecting storage devices message. I have 2 hard drives in my computer so I disconnected my main one and it continues on past the message but gets an error as I dont have windows installed on it. So, seems like my hard drives probably fried? And I imagine theres no way I can pull any of my data off of it. I have such great luck with computers. I just bought this thing a few months ago because my old one died.

Re: Computer hangs during boot and I need to retrieve my data.

Post split from a thread hi-jack. Let me know if you would like a better title than the one I gave it.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Computer hangs during boot and I need to retrieve my data.

Pull out the hard drive, mount it as a slave (or perhaps in a USB cage) on a working computer and BACK UP YOUR DATA. Do this FIRST
      You havent said what OS you are using, so specific help is a bit difficult, but what about a repair install from an XP / Vista CD?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X