Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veritas Storage Exec

Hi all

We are just evaluating Veritas Storage Exec on our test network. I have installed the AD addin and it has 'extended' my schema. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this software or has it running? Any opinions?

All info appreciated

Thanks

Chris
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

A friend of mine works for Vertias, I asked him about this product and he's had nothing but good things to say about it. (He works in the support department so he hears both good and bad things - mostly bad though)
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Many thanks Andrew. The trial is going well. Thanks again
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

Re: Veritas Storage Exec

I've recently installed Veritas Storage Exec 5.3.2190 on a 2 node Win2003+SP1 cluser and found that it dramatically impacts on the file server performance. Browsing network maped drives becomes very slow (2 to 3 seconds to open a folder). All problems disapear when I stop Storage Exec Service.

Unfortunatelly this is on a server that's on production, so I can't realy play with it... on our test server everything seemed fine. The production server is a 2 node dedicated file server with 2Gb Ram and 2 Xeon based processors (on each node)... there is no performance strugle there (processor nor memory) ...but the volume that SE is managing is quite large (780Gb at 80% capacity and most are small files).

Anyone has experienced something similar?

Comment

Re: Veritas Storage Exec

we use it to on some servers. some are also clustered.
          i do find the clusters are a bit slow in reacting when browsing but then they are also heavily used by the users. the stand alone servers are reacting just fine.

the thing that i find annoying is that it cannot really update itself and calculate correctly when folders/drives which have quota on them are being compressed. when we compress a folder or a whole drive, we need to set up the quota new and the calculation takes quite a while and impacts performance. therefore, we usually handle such actions between the end of the normal working hours and before the backups start.

also, i don't like this java crap. before the program displays all the quotas on a folder/drive that holds a lot of home drives, i can easily work on and complete another ticket while the java thingy flashes around like crazy on the other server.

the upside, of course, is that you can apply quota to folders and thereby limit the user
          something you can't do with microsoft tools.
          Last edited by chris; 27th September 2005, 20:52.
          Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

Working...
          X