System State Backup to disk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System State Backup to disk

I am running Backup Exec 11d SP4 in a Win2k3 SP2 environment. When trying to backup the System State of several servers to a de-duplication server on the network I get the following error in BE.
    Backup- \\ServerName\System?State \\ServerName\System?State
    Storage device "SystemStateOnExtDrive" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
    The semaphore timeout period has expired.
    V-79-57344-34032 - The device timed out.

Other information:
    1) The backup fails part way through, there will usually be about 3 gigs out of 8 that get backed up.
    2) I can run other backups to this device without any issue (from 1000 kb to 10ís of gigs).
    3) I can run the System State backups to another standard server on the network and it succeeds.
    4) I can backup the System State from the server running BE 11d to the de-duplication server and it works.
    5) I also have the same issue with my Exchange 03 mail store backup.
    6) I have completely disabled AV running an all servers.
    7) I have tried just one System State backup from another server and it fails.
    I have unchecked junction points.
    9) I have turned off locking.
    10) I am not using AOFO.
    11) I have ran LiveUpdate for BE.
    12) I have created a new Backup-2-Disk folder and new backup job.
    13) I have checked the event logs and on the BE server I get the 3 following error: 34113, 57600 and 33808. I have looked these up on EventID.net and didnít find a solution that worked for my situation.
    14) No other events on the other servers.
    15) Recently had a power outage network wide.
    16) Recently upgraded from McAfee 8.5 to 8.7
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: System State Backup to disk

What happens if you try an NT backup of the system state to that drive???

Comment

I just tried a NT Backup of the System State from one of the failing servers to the de-dup server and it worked.

So my guess is that BE handles the System State and Exchange backups differently than normal data backups. And when performing these types of backups (differently) from a remote server to the BE server and then to the de-dup server, McAfee is is causing some type of timeout issue. Does that make sense? But then when I disable McAfee I on the servers I would expect it to work.

Last night I did get an email from McAfee with a laundry list of things to try so thats todays task.

Thanks,

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by pklages View Post
        I just tried a NT Backup of the System State from one of the failing servers to the de-dup server and it worked.

So my guess is that BE handles the System State and Exchange backups differently than normal data backups. And when performing these types of backups (differently) from a remote server to the BE server and then to the de-dup server, McAfee is is causing some type of timeout issue. Does that make sense? But then when I disable McAfee I on the servers I would expect it to work.

Last night I did get an email from McAfee with a laundry list of things to try so thats todays task.

Thanks,

Pat
        Did you find a fix for this? I would like to know as I am experiencing a similar issue.

Thanks!

Comment

Nope, never figured it out. They just started working again but are still very slow. We have a Cisco wireless bridge that we move backups over and believe it may be having issues. Still don't know why just the system state and exchange backups were haveing problems. May be their backup files are more of a all or nothing chunk and when there was a slight issue they would fail while the user data backups files are smaller and can handle small hickups.

Comment

Hello,

Change the Registry value:
            HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Symantec/Backup Exec for Windows/Backup Exec /Engine/NTFS/FSUseAsynclO to "0"

This key determines whether Backup Exec uses a proprietary method for accessing files (on tape and on hard disk file systems) for both read and write functionality. A value of 1 means Backup Exec will use the proprietary method to accelerate such operations and a value of 0 means it will not.

After making the registry change, restart the Backup Exec Device and Media Service.

OR

Open BeUtility, right-click on the media server name, click Edit Configuration.

By default, File system uses asynchronous I/O will be selected. Clear this check box.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Working...
            X