Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server, remote computers x 3, + 6 laptop docking stations

Hi,

As you may be able to guess I am new, so unsure on loction to post this thread...

I am setting up three new offices in the UK.
    I require 1 server to run these three PCs which each have access to our HQ Office which has an exchange server and network folders.

The server should give access to the shared folders at HQ and have access to our email. And some how be connected to our HQ server, which runs server 2003.

I also need 6 lap-top docking stations, two on each site.

Anyone know the best and cheapest way to go about this.

Should we just allow them access for remote desktops or would it proves beneficial to use VPN connection?

Thanks in anticipation.

Re: Server, remote computers x 3, + 6 laptop docking stations

IMHO, since you have active directory in the head office:
    Set up VPNs to the 3 new offices
    Install a domain controller at each one (if you use Server 2008 it could be a RODC)
    Make the client computers domain members

Can't help you with the docking stations, but most big suppliers will negotiate on price these days
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Why do you need a server on each site??? If thats what you mean.

If you really do need to have a server on each site then Tom's suggestion is the way to go.

Comment

Thank you for your responses,

I need to have the three separate offices to have access to our HQ office I.e. Access to network folders, and exchange.

I do not neccesarily have to have a server on each site, or even one at all...

IPSEC VPN Tunnel maybe? x 3...

Comment

Thats what i'd be looking at depending on the connection to the main office and of course the main office connection speed.

So this is how i would have it

Main Site will house your server and AD infrastructure.

Site 1, 2 and 3 will connected to the head office using a dedicated VPN tunel. Speak to your ISP as they will probably provide a service like this.

They may provide equipment but you may need to so think about what you want to use. We use Sonciwall applances in our enviornment but they can be costly by the time you add in the extras.

Could probably go for many pages about how to setup but this should at least get you started.

Comment

Looking at it it seems to be that the HQ office has very low upload.

Will this have a great impact?

Perhaps have another server at one of the three sites looking after all three?

Many thanks

Comment

Actually if your HQ has a slow upload speed that will affect the performance of all your remote sites.

Your HQ is responsible for sending email traffic, network file traffic, DC traffic, possibly others depending what other services you have. Now that will get split 3way to each site plus any traffic HQ is sending out to the internet (IE emails being sent out)

Our VPN link with a remote site is 100Mb at both sites and I still get complaints every now and then.

You are definitely going to have a lot of complaints about speed if you have a limited amount of upload bandwidth.

Comment

Thank you,

Our router status is at 2272 kbps / 288 kbps

Maybe this is something that should be upgraded.

Comment

Your upload speed of 288K seems low. You are clearly on DSL but maybe on one of the old 2Mb products rather than DSL-Max where you should get an upload of about 750Kbps.

Is it worth spending on a consultant to do a proper study of your requirements and current systems then design a solution for you?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X